Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jodycjohnson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
    Perpetual inventory system special journals
    How do you journalize the receipt of a check for merchandise returned that was originally purchased with cash?
    robhvv123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2015, 04:29 PM
    Somebody returned merchandise that was purchased with cash? And you gave them a Check?

It's a sales return, both the periodic and perpetual inventory systems have a Sales returns and allowances account so you'd debit it and when you sold it to them you credited your GST payable account, so you have to debit GST payable for the tax amount included in the part of the merchandise they're returning, and credit your cash at bank account. All returns go in the general journal, it's one of the only times you'll use the general journal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Perpetual inventory system [ 1 Answers ]

The physical inventory at year-end disclosed a normal amount of inventory shrinkage My ans: debit AR and credit Cash is this the correct entry Make an entry to close the revenue account My ans: debit inventory and credit revenue is this the correct entry Made an entry at year-end to close...

Perpetual inventory system [ 1 Answers ]

Perpetual inventory system Collected cash from the customer

Determine the ending inventory under a perpetual inventory system [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ! I've honestly spent a long time trying to figure this out, but I keep getting the answer wrong and I'm not sure how I should go about this question. I'm not asking for you to just give me the answer, if you have time to give a little explanation that would be nice so I could understand what...

Perpetual inventory system [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a problem that require me to make an income statement for a business. The question states that the company uses the perpetual inventory system. And it wants me to show details of net sales and operating expenses. What is perpetual inventory system and how will a statement using it be...

View more questions Search