Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkikad30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 01:07 AM
    Is it normal for dogs to pee in their sleep
    Hi everyone I have a year old female lab/ Australian shepard mix, her name is Kia Mae, and she seems to be having this bed wetting problem since we have had her.We just thought that it might be from her coming into a new place that she was just nervous. She will be taken outside before me and my fiancé are going to bed then when we wake up in the morning there is a pee spot underneath her. We took her to the vet about a month prior to all this and she did have a bladder infection. Do you think it could be the same thing again, or something worse?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2012, 02:10 AM
    It could be another infection or it could be incontinence.
    I have a female poodle here with urinary incontinence, it sounds quite scary but it causes her no pain at all, she just leaks urine when she is sleeping. Hers in controlled with a drug called Propalin which basically helps tighten the muscles around the bladder and help keep control. In addition to that she sleeps at night on a vet bed that is super absorbent. It doesn't happen every night with the medication whereas without drugs she would be wetting herself 3-4 times a day.

Another form is spay incontinence where when the uterus is removed during a spay the hormones go haywire and it can cause problems. This can once again be treated by your vet with hormones.

And finally the more serious form requires surgery whch is not always successful, it doesn't sound like that is what your girl has though as with this form they constantly drip urine, not just when sleeping.
    nikkikad30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 04:28 PM
    Hmm well that sounds like something I could talk to her vet about but she hasn't been spayed before. And she will do it even if she is just sitting down for 3 seconds. Im hoping its nothing to serious and hoping it is curable without surgery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can small dogs be alone and use pee pads? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am a single mom of two boys and I would like to get a dog or two. My only concern is that we are not home all day because of work/school. I have heard that very small dogs can use pads to go to the washroom so they would be OK home all day. Is this true? Are there any breeds that...

Dogs sleep walking and urinating in their sleep? [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 14. She has urinated in her sleep three times. But the last one concerned me... she got up frantically and ran around the room, then into the wall. It startled her and she laid down and began urinating. I was looking at her and its like she didn't even realize she was doing it. She then...

Pug dogs pee blood [ 4 Answers ]

My pug dog who is 5 years old, male, started peeing blood, but then it went away. Last night, he left his bed and when I woke up this a.m. it was like a blood bath down stairs. There were probably 10 -12 pee sites, and all had brown or red (blood) in them. Is this a bladder infection?

Is it normal for a newly adopted dog to pee in his sleep? [ 15 Answers ]

We have adopted a one year old chocolate lab from the humane society. He has been in our home for one week. I just noticed a wet spot underneath him on the bed where he was sleeping. We immediately took him outside and he did have to pee some more. He is not completely housebroken yet. In...

Why do dogs pee randomly when sleeping [ 11 Answers ]

My dog is 6 years old, mixed breed, spayed girl. Why is she frequently wetting the bed while sleeping? I always let her out right before I bring her into bed with me. Is this something I should be worried about? Thanks.

View more questions Search