Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    easttexas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
    My dog thinks her toys are her puppies
    Yeah, I have a question, I found this site because I searched “my dog thinks her toys are her puppies” …ur explanation above sounds completely logical but I think our situation is somewhat different. She has always loved her toys and pretty much played with them when we would get her interested…but we recently had her spayed and a day later she was obsessed with her toys…all 26 of them, various shapes and sizes. She knows if one is missing, she crys if she can't find them, she baths them, she has all of them in her bed and lays with them. She will not leave the bed, when before she would always have to be in bed with us, NOW she refuses to leave babies... she has lost weight and won't even leave the bed to eat, we had to bring her food and water to her bed. The vet said she was “nesting” and gave us some meds to give her…he said that she would be over it in a few days and she actually was over it in a day or so, with the meds she cared nothing for the toys, but now that we are out, its right back to being SUPER MOM!! What should we do, just keep medicating her or what??

THANKS, stressed out SUPER OWNER!! Hahahaha
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 10:58 PM
    I moved your question to its own space. Please don't piggyback on someone else's thread.

Our dog expert in Australia may be online during the night (her day) and will respond to your question. Otherwise, most of the other experts are in the States, so will be online in the morning. I'm sure you will get good suggestions. Please be patient.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
    Take all of the toys away. You need to break her out of this behaviour as it is obviously stressing her out.

It sounds mean, and yes she will be upset when you take her 'babies' away but it's a lot kinder in the long run. It's actually quite common especially in entire b*tches having a phantom pregnancy.

How old is she and is she desexed? What medication did the vet give you?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:08 AM
    I'm curious about what meds they gave her too.
    Shaz, she states that she was recently spayed and this behavior started about a day afterward.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Oh shoot, sorry I missed that part. It could very well be the shift in hormones causing it and confusing her after the spay.

I still say definitely remove any and all toys to stop the behavior, my mothers poodle had a rubber lizard that she used to do the same thing with, we took away the lizard and she was upset for a few days and was looking for her 'baby' but then she got over it. It's the same when a dam whelps a single puppy who dies, they learn to cope with the missing puppy but it takes time.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
    I agree with shazzy. Take all her toys away and throw them. Start doing other stuff with her such as more walks and more visits to the dog park. Once she is normal, purchase new toys one at a time and see how she does
    angela408 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Sorry I have to disagree.
    Currently as I am typing this, my zu mix has a cage full of stuffed animals that are "Her Babies". This is her second go around, and both times it has happened about 4 to 6 weeks after she has been in heat. I read up on this last time, and the answer that made the most sense was to just leave her be, and when her hormones are done fluctuating, she'll be over it. That's exactly what happened. Slowly one by one, she lost interestest in about two weeks, and they just became toys again. She sleeps with us also, but we have to bring the whole gang to bed with us every night. Heaven forbid if we forget one, especially "Lamb Chop" who was her favorite last time too. Then I just take them all the next day, and nicely place them back in her kennel. I don't "Encourage" it nor do I "Discourage" it, but if she needs something, I try to help her out. She is worth every little bit of extra effort, and I know she will be fine in a couple of weeks. Besides, she is not hurting a thing
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2012, 03:00 PM
    Angela.. spaying your pet would eliminate this problem all together. I'm sure its not fun going through a period in your life being paranoid and extra needy.

Besides.. this behavior is just a "dog" thing.. typically the dog on the lower end of the stick and are trying very hard to please the leader (in the wild, the alpha female is the only one allowed to reproduce).

Although this is a normal behavior for dogs, its also a pesky one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog has started peeing on toys [ 1 Answers ]

Our 6 year old pug has suddenly started peeing in the house and most recently peeing on our sons toys last evening. He uncharacteristically bit him last week. We are feeling uncomfortable about her being in the house now. Can anyone offer ideas as to what might have caused her to start...

My dog just had puppies [ 6 Answers ]

My dog just had had 7 puppies. She is a lab,pit mix. The father is a Stafford pit. The puppies are 4 weeks old and we are going to start getting them eating puppy chow that's been watered down. But she has been losing weight. A lot of weight. Its kind of scary. She's losing weight and she's looking...

Dog Toys [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to buy some rope to make knotted doy toys at a local hardware. Which kind of rope is safest to use? Thanks John

Dog toys? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I have a 1 year old black lab mix. She was recently adopted froma shelter but I have noticed that she has no interest whatsover in toys. I have tried kongs, squeaky toys, rope toys, and tennis balls. She will sniff at them then walk away, she also lost interest in a bone she had that was...

Dog Toys [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone suggest a dog toy that is good for a heavy chewer? I am looking for something that possibly bounces or rolls, I got her the Orka jack which claimed it stands up to the toughest chewers, but my dog had an "arm" chewed off it in about 2 minutes. I only let her play with it when I am...

View more questions Search