Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PetuniaGeo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 01:24 PM
    UK income tax withholding for US citizen working in UK
    I am a US citizen who has been offered a post-graduate position working in London. Before I accept the offer, will UK income taxes be withheld from my salary and what rate of UK income taxes will I be paying. How are UK income taxes normally collected? I understand the US tax requirements for income earned overseas.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Yes, if you work in the United Kingdom, under the U.S.-U.K. Tax Treaty, you WILL be liable for U.K. income taxes.

I am not sure you will be liable for the national insurance that covers medical costs, but most likely you will.

Yes, the money IS withheld from your salary, just like in the United States.

The people who are offering you the job can tell you what tax rates would be, or you can Google it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is J1 change to F1 student eligible for tax withholding for the first 5000$ income? [ 2 Answers ]

I came to US in 2010.3 as a visiting schorlar holding J1 visa.In 2011.7 I went back to China and change J1 to F1. Now I am a student. Recently, I received a letter from the tax offcie in my school telling that I am not eligible for tax treaty due to my changes from J1 to F1 status without properly...

Withholding Tax of US company while working from Pakistan [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Currently I am providing software development services from Pakistan (offshore) to a U.S.A based software development company, and they are saying that they will withhold 30% of the amount which is agreed between us for my services. I am also paying income tax in Pakistan, do they really...

Tax Withholding/Forms for Canadian Intern Working in California for Summer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is the tax withholding/rules for a Canadian citizen/resident who will be temporarily working at a US firm for the summer? I am not familiar with the new amendments to the Canadian/US tax treaty Thank you

Income tax for senior citizen [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am a resident Indian senior citizen. I am retired from the government service and getting pension. I wanted to know my tax liability for the year with following earnings: -Income from Pension= 96000/- per year -Income from Short term capital gain (selling shares)-150000/- i.e....

Washington D.C. Income Tax Withholding? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently working in D.C. supposedly to be a temp. assignment, which will last for about 30 days. I am home based in Mass. My question is: Will my income be subjected to D.C. income tax withholding and required to file a D.C. income tax return? Thank you!

View more questions Search