Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leadville Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Editorial slander in newspapers
    My local newspaper has run a number of editorials that are basically personal hate "attack" editorials. They are harming my business in this small town. Many of these editorials suggest I move out of town. Is the newspaper responsible for making sure libel or slander are not a part of accepted and published editorials?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 11:43 AM
    My City newspaper allowed "Letters to the Editor" to be published even though they were not signed when submitted. Then they got sued. Now that is not their policy and there's a blurb about the paper not being responsible - PLUS they verify the name/address of the writer and publish the name and Town.

Your paper must have a published policy - ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
    The person who wrote them can be held liable if they are lying. So sue the person for loss of business from what they are writing.

Apr 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
    My problem started when I made a comment to the Denver Post about the ongoing bicycle races and how many people think they are too frequent. A handful of special interest local residents here chose to launch a personal attack against me in the local newspaper via editorials.
    Comments like, "...the majority of people here are sick of your badmouthing and we would all be better off if you moved..."
    I believe in the editorial format, but I think editorials should remain directed towards the issues, not the person who expressed them. And I THOUGHT this was a responsibility of the publishing newspaper to "screen" hateful editorials out, and confine editorials to the issues.
    I guess I just need a lawyer?
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
    You have to be financially damaged - for example, stress which requires visits to a Physician OR loss of business.

Do you know what the editorial policy is? My idea of hateful may not be yours - and that is going to be their argument. I can read this about you and think, "Gee, that's stupid." I can read it about me and have my hair burst into flames.

Know what I mean?

Who is going to judge? I'd LOVE to see their policy. And are these anonymous letters? And don't people in Denver have anything to do other than read your letter and attack you?

(I'm coming out to Denver for a week in mid-May. Love that part of the Country!)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by leadville View Post
    And I THOUGHT this was a responsibility of the publishing newspaper to "screen" hateful editorials out, and confine editorials to the issues.
    Hello l:

If it were me, I'd write the newspaper a letter THREATENING to sue if they don't stop.. Little bitty publishers are afraid of getting sued. I'd send a copy of the letter to the, letters to the editor section of the Denver Post.

excon

Apr 21, 2012, 12:21 PM
    I guess I just need a lawyer. This kind of unnecessary slander is harmful. It's one thing to address the issues and disagree, but a far different issue to allow local residents to make inaccurate statements that are designed strictly to harm me, as opposed to representing their view of the issue. I'm not sure what "you ought to leave town..." has to do with responsible journalism and I contend the editor has an obligation to reject that kind of verbiage from making the paper.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leadville View Post
    I guess I just need a lawyer. This kind of unneccesary slander is harmful. It's one thing to address the issues and disagree, but a far different issue to allow local residents to make inaccurate statements that are designed strictly to harm me, as opposed to representing their view of the issue. I'm not sure what "you ought to leave town..." has to do with responsible journalism and I contend the editor has an obligation to reject that kind of verbiage from making the paper.

Please keep us informed - I'd love to see how this plays out. (And I agree with you. Any of these "slanderous" letters, comments, though, can depend on who does the editing. What I consider slander, you do not. Again, sounds like people in town have a lot of time on their hands.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broadcast vs News editorial [ 2 Answers ]

Which is a better major to have, I am outgoing but also a good writer. I think I'd be good at both. I usually don't take a lot of risks in life- but for some reason I get a feeling about broadcast but which is smarter? Help a girl out thanks!

New York Times Editorial, The Messiah is in trouble! [ 4 Answers ]

When the New York Times Editorial Writer Noel Sheppard writes an editorial like this, it can't spell good news for Obama! NYT Editorial Bashes Obama's Recent Flip-flops | NewsBusters.org The more he talks, the worse things get. I hope he keeps on giving us these "moving" speech's. He is...

McCain's editorial about the Farm bill [ 6 Answers ]

Yesterday John McCain published in the heart of the mid-west an op-ed explaining his opposition to the pandering pork laden farm subsidy bill that was recently passed by our Congress with a veto-proof majority . Farming for riches -- -- chicagotribune.com This may be seen as either a...

Old newspapers [ 4 Answers ]

I have some old newspapers from the 1930's and 40's which contain historical value about what was happening during that time in history. I don't want to touch them or move them around too much as they may fall apart. Any suggestions as to how to preserve these papers?

Articles at Newspapers [ 4 Answers ]

I believe and think that I can write some good articles about various things shaping our world and lives... I'm not a journalist but I always feel that I have writing skills in me... I just want to know that which newspapers or magazines help new writers to publish their thoughts.. I really want...

View more questions Search