Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    34candel34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
    What if I am in HIPAA violation
    My wife works a billing office that is shared with another company. The charts of informaiton is in no way locked up, credit card numbers on sticky notes hanging on the computers. Claims are being changed due to a revoked doctors licesnse... my wife is in violation of HIPAA as a result, although no training has been issued to any employee. To top if off anyone in the general public can walk in to inquire or do business with the other company and see all this madness. My questions is, can this come down on her now that she has researched that this place is in violation?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 11:23 AM
    You are saying that your wife is in violation. Has she been charged with a violation?

I don't think any individual employee could be charged, but the establishment could be
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 11:30 AM
    If she knows it is wrong and is doing it, so why is she putting credit card info on sticky notes, why is she not putting files where they are locked when they are done with them.

The company and any employee who does it can be guilty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a hipaa violation [ 6 Answers ]

I am an RN in a clinic. Recently a person was killed. A doctor at work showed me her picture. I immediately said "Oh my God I think she was in here last week". I typed in her name just to see if we had seen her. When I saw that we had not I deleted it. I did not read any information whatsoever. If...

Is this a HIPAA violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I am undergoing a fit for duty evaluation and I was required to sign medical release documents. I was adivsed that if the evaluators required more information they would contact me, I was just contacted by my employer who stated they received a call from the evaluators stating that they had not...

HIPAA violation? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter requested and paid for a copy of her medical records from a hospital, and spoke to the medical records manager at least three times, of which the manager called her by her name. When she picked up and paid for her records, she found that she had mistakenly been given all the records of...

HIPAA Violation [ 4 Answers ]

A Physician I know was forced to close his practice because of illness. The person that worked in his office has taken the computer with pertainate information on all of his patients and refuses to return it. A policee report was file but he and his wife were told that nothing could be done. I work...

HIPAA Violation? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it a HIPAA violation for a doctor to make phone calls regarding a patient in a public place such as the gym? I overheard a doctor yesterday making phone calls and was concerned about her patients’ privacy rights.

View more questions Search