Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doj Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 08:00 AM
    HIPPA violation?
    Over the telephone I disclosed to my dentist's receptionist that I was newly pregnant. I was planning on getting dental work done and needed to know if x-rays and medication were going to be necessary. About a week later, my husband came to the office for his check up. All of the office personnel and the dentist congratulated him. When I called, I told the receptionist that I was only 7 weeks pregnant and that we were not telling anybody yet, but that I needed to know if I would still be able to get the dental work done. Meanwhile, they never called me back to let me know if I could get the work done or not, but they told my husband to tell me that I would have to wait until the baby was born. I would like to know if I have any kind of case.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Don't you have each others names on each others release forms like most married couples do?

Apr 19, 2012, 08:23 AM
    The problem was that the whole office knew, plus, there were other patients in the office. Also, I don't believe I have my husband's name on the release form.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Do you have a case? What are you looking for? You said "that we were not telling " giving the impression your husband knew already. You gave the information to a receptionist, she had to pass it on to the dentist. This is not disclosure as it pertains to HIPAA.

Apr 19, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Do you have a case?? What are you looking for? You said "that we were not telling " giving the impression your husband knew already. You gave the information to a receptionist, she had to pass it on to the dentist. This is not disclosure as it pertains to HIPAA.
    The issue was that the information was broadcasted across the doctors office, while other patients were there.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Doj View Post
    ... I would like to know if I have any kind of case.
    HIPAA is not about striking it rich if the health care providers somehow violate the regulation. It's about fining them under the appropriate circumstances. And that fine would go to the government, not you.

So how do you figure you were damaged by what does appear to be, technically, a violation?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 08:42 AM
    When were you going to tell us the "issue" , you never mentioned this is the previous posts. I have provided my answer based on my knowledge and experince. If you still believe you have a case then file a complaint. How To File a Complaint

Apr 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    HIPAA is not about striking it rich if the health care providers somehow violate the regulation. It's about fining them under the appropriate circumstances. And that fine would go to the government, not you.

So how do you figure you were damaged by what does appear to be, technically, a violation?
    We live in a small town. This isn't information we've shared with anybody, as the news is so "new". I feel it was unprofessional of the receptionist to convey this information to anyone except the doctor, and the fact that she broadcasted the information throughout the office while other patients were there seems to be like a violation of privacy. I thought "health information" was supposed to be kept confidential.

Apr 19, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    When were you going to tell us the "issue" , you never mentioned this is the previous posts. I have provided my answer based on my knowledge and experince. If you still believe you have a case then file a complaint. How To File a Complaint
    We were going to disclose this information to close family at 3 months, and my employer at 4 months. I am only 7 weeks currently.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 09:02 AM
    What would I do? I'd take the subject up with the receptionist and the Dentist. Then I'd find a new Dentist - or you'll be asked to find one, either way.

Can you report the violation? Yes. Will someone decide if it's a violation? Yes.

Will you get any money from it? No. You have not been financially harmed.

If that changes, I'd come back and post - for example, you get fired from your job and no one could have possibly told your employer except the Dentist, not a friend, not a relative.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Is This a Hippa Violation? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Indiana. Recently my husband was in the hospital in the ICU. One of his doctors, while in a public area of the ICU became aggravated with my sister and I asking her questions and very loudly told my sister and I that he had cancer and was dying. She further said that everything they...

HIPPA violation [ 8 Answers ]

Is it a HIPPA violation in the state of Pennsylvania for a dentist to hire an outside customer service company to follow up on patient care. Thanks so much!

HIPPA Violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I went to a lab for a medical test that required the use of a large machine. The technician had me sitting in the room while another patient was being scanned. The machine was silent and the room was not very large. The technician asked me questions about my medical history in front of the other...

HIPPA violation? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a lap band surgery performed in mid December. I work for a surgeon who happens to be the chief in the department. After informing him and my supervisor of my surgery, he called his lover and told him of my upcoming surgery. He then had him call me and try to talk me out of...

View more questions Search