Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jemxox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 05:37 PM
    My parents are getting a divorce and living in different countries
    Ok, so I was born and raised in England. All my family live in england, and I have very strong ties there. My mom is a stay at home mom, and my dad is a doctor. My mom went with my dad wherever he needed to go to support his job, and that meant moving to america when I was 10. When I was 12, my parents divorced. We (my mom and two siblings) moved back to england, and remained there for a year. That summer, my parents decided to give it another try so we moved back and have lived here (US) up until now. My mom tells me how she is really, really unhappy. She doesn't like it here, and she doesn't love him any more. She says that they just don't get along, don't share the same interests, he is unkind and unfair, and that she just wants to go home (to england) and be with her family. She got really emotional when telling me this, and I can tell she is truly unhappy. She also told me that she could never really forgive him for what he did, which I'm pretty sure is him having an affair. She explained to me she just couldn't face staying here anymore, and wants me and my two siblings to move back to england with her, while my dad obviously stays here to work. She hasn't told him yet, and will do when the next have couples counseling.

It is not really the fact that they are divorcing that I am upset about, because I can probably handle it. It's the huge choice I have to make that is killing me. My mom spoke with a lawyer, who told her that if my dad makes a fuss, which I have a feeling he will- because he would obviously be totally alone if all his kids left, it will require taking this to court and end up in the lawyers asking us kids where we want to live, england or america. My brother, who is in 6th grade, is fine with anything because he is so young. My sister (8th grade) doesn't want to leave, but if it came the point of either having to staying here with her dad or going to england, she would for sure choose england. I don't know if I could handle living practically alone, as my dad works long hours and I would have to become very independent... it would be a whole different life. I don't really know what my mom would do if both me and my sister didn't want to leave-when I asked her she said she didn't want to think about it, and hoped we would change our minds.

I am a sophomore in high school, and I have known most of my best friends since 5th grade, and one from 4th grade (we are a group of 5, including me). I only have two years left of high school-the two years I was most looking forward to. Prom with my best friends, senior prank, senior skip day-all sorts of things that I would miss out on, not to mention my friends mean the world to me. If I went to england, I would be entering the 6th form. During the one year I went back to england when my parents first divorced, I went to a lovely school and made really nice friends. But it has been years, and we only kept in contact for about one year. I would be going back to the same school, but I know all my past friends have totally moved on. They have their own friends, and I highly doubt they would be willing to accept me as part of their "group." I know my friends and I, as nice as we are, wouldn't be openly willing to accept someone into our group and I doubt people in england who have been with each other since year 7/sixth grade would be either. I have a natural english and american accent that comes naturally depending on what country I'm in, so it's not like there is anything about me that would stand out. I just don't think I'd find any friends. The education is also different there, and I would probably be behind. The way I see it, once I'm done with high school I will go to college in england. At least that's what I tell myself, but I know that I would love college in american too, perhaps more. And in america you have the option of going in undecided for your major, which I wouldn't have in england.

England is my home. I have so many ties there. My family is so close knit and I would love to be close to them, including my grandparents. But I don't know if it's worth it to put myself through this. I haven't even cried yet. I feel like it hasn't really hit me yet, that my life will change. No matter what I choose. I feel so lost and confused, and I don't know who to go to, as both my parents would obviously give advice to make me stay with them. I can't even tell my best friends because it just hasn't sunk in. It's been in the back of my mind all week, totally distracting me. I keep telling myself it will sort itself out, that my mom wouldn't leave me in america alone. I feel emotionally confused and hurt. I don't know what to do.
    Diamond67 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2013, 10:05 PM
    I am in the same situation.my parents got divorced when I was little and then got married again 2 years ago.now they got divorced a couple of months ago and he left.we do see him every week.now he is getting married again and moving abroad.we are moving abroad too but like both of us are moving to europe.I didn't know what to do but then I talked to people and now we will move abroad and I will live with my mum and brothers,and in the holidays I will go to see my dad.
    About friends I will miss them too I have 3 best friends at high schools and I am sad leaving them but I am allowed to have them over in the holidays When I don't go to my dads or I will go back to my home country to see friends and family.
    My family will come and see us too and a really close cousin will be coming with us too so I am not entirely happy but it is a great opportunity to start fresh and forget all the bad things that have happened in the past years,just talk to someone and I hope this answers some of your problems. Hope you figure stuff out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What divorce forms are needed when spouses live in 2 different countries? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a USA citizen and he is a UK citizen. We have been married for 2-1/2 years but have been living in separate countries for the past 2 years. He has moved on and found someone new. He has no desire to come to the USA so he wants a divorce. What forms do I need to obtain to get a divorce without...

My wife ani lives in separate countries an I find out she had affair should I divorce [ 2 Answers ]

My wife is 24, we have been married for one year and lived in different countries from since we been married that's 1 year and 3 month. We haven't seen each other for the same period. Recently I found out that she is having and affair from a close friend. When I ask she said no but I have...

What should I do if we're living with his parents. [ 10 Answers ]

What should I do if we are financially dependent on his parents because my hubby can't find a decent job in this economy (it's been 4 years since he hasn't had a job he is comfortable with). So he ended up working for the family business (restaurant x2). His father is a multi millionare yet his pay...

Foreign Tax Credit for Filing Jointly, but living in different countries [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the situation: I'm a Permanent Resident, worked full-time in the US in 2006. My spouse was on an H-1, worked in the US till July went back to home country. He worked in home country from July, earned equivalent of $2500 in 2006. He has no immediate plans of returning to the US. He paid...

View more questions Search