Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Samsmith Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 12:43 PM
    How good are chances of passing ETG test?
    I drank 7-9 beers and 4 shots of rum on Thursday evening, still had a bac of .026 on Friday at 10am, blew .000 at noon and tested at 8:40 am on Monday which gives me 68-69 hours between no bac and test. What are my chances passing an ETG test? 6'2 237 lbs male. I also did an 45 minutes of treadmill Saturday and Sunday, sweated profusley, and drank at least two and half gallons of water all weekend up to 10 pm Sunday.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Based on the timeline provided your chances of passing are very high... above 80%.

EtG elimination cannot be predicted within an hour or two so it's always questionable.

Based on existing elimination studies it is very unusual to detect EtG after 65 hrs +/- (from BAC=0) even after heavy drinking. That's puts you in potential danger but with odds weighted in your favor.

The test simply doesn't perform as represented.

Would really appreciate it if you would report your results.

NOTICE: Any person or entity that is subjected to or relies on EtG testing should read this Advisory issued by the US Department of Health and Human Services, September 2006 and remains in effect as of date of this posting. Copy available here > US DHHS Advisory

Apr 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
    I will try Dr. Bill. But if I do not pass then needless to say, I will be unable to give a yea or nay because I will be in jail for an extended period. But if I pass I will be sure to give a reply as many posts here do not give a result of success and are not helpful. Also, are these "80 hr" estimates at time of last consumption, which would put me at least 8 hours ahead further, or at time of last bac? That also seems to be up for debate.
    sketchybiz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Hey dr.bill if I drank Friday and Saturday probably drinking around 16 at the most** and I had one beer (pbr- pabst blue ribbon) bottle neck on Monday, I have a EtG test on tomorrow (Wednesday) anywhere from 7am - 9am should I pass? Is there any risk? Or should I buy a detox and not risk it? I way 165 great metabolism and 6' foot.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2012, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsmith View Post
    ..... Also, are these "80 hr" estimates at time of last consumption, which would put me at least 8 hours ahead further, or at time of last bac? That also seems to be up for debate.
    Now there is the problem. Some report from first drink, others from last drink, some from BAC at time of admission, some based on a standard formula for estimating BAC and others from direct blood, urine or breath analysis. Variable. These inconsistent standards allow for such terms as "up to 80" hours or "up to 5 days" This variability is widely exploited by the commercial testing industry. (see Wojcik & Hawthorne, 2007)

Apr 17, 2012, 03:58 PM
    Urine test 80 EtG test

Apr 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
    80 hour**
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2012, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchybiz View Post
    hey dr.bill if i drank friday and saturday probably drinking around 16 at the most** and i had one beer (pbr- pabst blue ribbon) bottle neck on monday, i have a etg test on tomorrow (Wednesday) anywhere from 7am - 9am should i pass? is there any risk? or should i buy a detox and not risk it? i way 165 great metabolism and 6' foot.
    Would need to know how these 16 drinks were consumed... how much on Friday? How much on Saturday?

How would you detox for EtG??
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2012, 04:35 PM
    ....But if I pass I will be sure to give a reply as many posts here do not give a result of success and are not helpful. ......
    Looked up a couple of those that may be helpful:

1) 59 hours after last drink, 12 mixed drinks, M-44-210 lb.Cutoff 250. LINK Post #14

2) 62 hours from last drink, 9 beers, 2 beers next day, M-20-140 LINK

3) 72 hours from last drink, heavy-abusive drinking, M LINK

4) 72 hours, heavy drinking, drinking on consecutive days. F-5'4", 120 lbs LINK See post #8

The foregoing are reported by previous posters and all are from time of last drink, not from BAC=0. Obviously all unverified.

Apr 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
    Drank 4 Friday night, drank 6 Saturday drank one Monday

Apr 17, 2012, 04:56 PM
    Is the estimated amount of water I consumed enough to have an effect on the EtG level? And it's actually a low estimate since I didn't specify drinking it Friday also. I really don't care if its considered dillute because it's mostly what I drink anyway, just had more than usual this weekend.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Is the estimated amount of water I consumed enough to have an effect on the etg level? And it's actually a low estimate since I didn't specify drinking it Friday also. I really don't care if its considered dillute because it's mostly what I drink anyways, just had more than usual this weekend.
    There seems to be no question that water induced diuresis accelerates elimination of EtG. Not simply dilution, all urine tests are influenced by dilution, but EtG is soluble in water.

So the answer to your question is Yes, drinking water after BAC=0 definitely accelerates elimination of EtG.

This glaring flaw of the test has been known (scientifically established) since 2002*. This despite the knowledge that excessive water (liquid) consumption (flushing) is the first recourse of all drug users facing test. Amazing!

*Dahl, et al

Apr 17, 2012, 05:48 PM
    All right Dr. Bill, thanks for your input. It was greatly appreciated and helpful. Hopefully I'll have an answer in the next few weeks as I won't know the results till then.

May 1, 2012, 08:15 PM
    So Dr. Bill, I went in today to check in and I'm here typing this so I'm pretty sure I passed. I took it 15 days ago and I'm assuming that they have the results back by now since I haven't been in since that day and I've heard nothing about it. I even asked if there were any problems with the situation that caused me to take the test in the first place and was told no, everything was fine so I have to guess that it came back negative. Thank you for your feedback, it kept me from losing my mind the last few weeks. I only have a short amount of time to go to completion and will be abstinent until then. Is it safe to assume that 15 days is enough time to have results back? Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2012, 06:15 AM
    The standard lab turnaround time is between 24-72 hours. The lab usually requires sample delivery within 72 hours (should be 24 hours).

At most there is a 4-6 day time from delivery to return. The testing agency usually has the results in-house within 5-work days. The intervening variable is how the results are processed once returned.

My knowledge of how any given office processes is based entirely on self-report but I hear that many times the subject isn't advised of the results unless they are positive.

Certainly, at 15 days it can be assumed that the results are in. If it were a positive you should have been advised long ago in the event you requested a re-test. Your sample is only testable for a period of 4 days (room temp).
    IPAman87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
    I've been sober for 6 months, Drank one Beer and took an ETG test Monday, would I Pass... 5,7 118 lb Male, very high metabolism
    IPAman87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IPAman87 View Post
    I've been sober for 6 months, Drank one Beer and took an ETG test Monday, would I Pass....5,7 118 lb Male, very high metabolism
    Drank the beer Saturday NIGHT
    bretttt Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2012, 04:46 PM
    Hi Dr. Bill!
    Please respond asap. I had 1/2 a shot of rum Wednesday night around midnight, probably close to the alc content of one beer. It is now Friday night and I'm called into test tomorrow morning at 8am. So it would be approx 56 hrs. I'm kind of freaking out this is the third time in less than a week I've been called in. what is your opinion of my likeliness to pass? I'm 6'3 165 w a pretty high metabolism. Should I take any supplements, or anything? Please let me know asap.
    bretttt Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Hi Dr. Bill!
    Please respond asap. I had 1/2 a shot of rum Wednesday night around midnight, probably close to the alc content of one beer. It is now Friday night and I'm called into test tomorrow morning at 8am. So it would be approx 56 hrs. I'm kind of freaking out this is the third time in less than a week I've been called in. what is your opinion of my likeliness to pass? I'm 6'3 165 w a pretty high metabolism. Should I take any supplements, or anything? Please let me know asap.
    Thunder10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 09:22 AM
    DRBiLL100 you seem to have a good handle on this subject so I would like to get your opinion. Wednesday afternoon to Wednesday night by 8:30pm I drank 2 24oz 5.5% beers and 8 50ml bottles of 80 proof vodka. Then Thursday morning I had 1 24oz 5.5% beer by 8am. I am 5'11" and weigh 195lbs. My ETG test is Sunday at 6pm. That would be 82 hours from last drink. I am not sure about BAC=0. This is for court and I am an alcoholic but stumbled a bit this last week. I am back on the program but am afraid I have screwed myself and will end up back in jail, no job, and loose my family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Passing an ETG Test [ 7 Answers ]

I am a struggling Alcoholic! I have a concern, I am a 41 yr old female, weighing approx. 155 pounds, on Thursday, 12/15/11 b/t 9pm-10pm I had 3 glasses of White wine @ 8 oz each and than on Thursday, 12/22/11 b/t 9:30pm and 11:00pm(this being time of last drink) I had 4 Glasses of White wine @ 8 oz...

Please help regarding passing an EtG test [ 3 Answers ]

I drank a lot this weekend, a fifth of rum, 3 shots, and 4 beers over the course of Friday and Saturday. I have a test at 630 on Tuesday evening. Do I have any chance of passing an ETG test. I am 37, work out each day, I am in good shape. I weight 140 lbs.

Will I have a shot at passing my EtG test? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a male that weighs 180. I drank 4 beers Monday and 3 beers Tuesday. My last drink on Tuesday was at 10:00 p.m. I just got a surprise EtG test at 4:45 Friday. Do I have a shot at passing?

Passing EtG alcohol test [ 1 Answers ]

If someone drinks on Thursday and has an EtG alcohol test on Tuesday afternoon, will they be able to pass the test? This person worked out and also sat in a sauna for two days in a row and drank about 3 gallons of water 2 days before the test. Just curious. Thanks.

View more questions Search