Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Right now, go all over him and his skin and look for a tick or a bite wound.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Does Rod work with anyone who may have a cell phone with internet access? Thinking Facebook. If yes see if you can post on that persons wall and their phone may let them know you posted.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
    Come on Rod!! *crossing fingers*
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    Does Rod work with anyone who may have a cell phone with internet access? Thinking facebook. If yes see if you can post on that persons wall and their phone may let them know you posted.
    The night shift is two people. Rod and some other guy I hate, I only know his first name. Rod doesn't have a cell, and if the other guy does, I don't know it. I'm not a fan of his. His last dog, he got it from a byb at 5 weeks, and told me that I was nuts to think that wasn't okay. In other words, we don't like each other much. :(
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Do you have any taxi services that allow dogs?
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Do you have any taxi services that allow dogs?
    :( No. And even if I did, I doubt they'd help me lift him into the cab.

I have a car. That's not the problem. I just can't get him into the car by myself. Right now he can't walk at all. He can't even stand without help, and when you get him standing, you have to hold him or he falls down.

I'm hoping Rod calls to check up on things. He normally does. But he has around 45 minutes. After that the vet clinic is closed. I could drive to his work, but it's a 30 minute drive there, and then back, and that would be too late too.

As is, if he calls right now, we'd have 15 minutes to get Jasper to the clinic, after Rod got here, carried Jasper to the car, and we drove to the vet (which is around 10 minutes away). :(

We have the appointment tomorrow. The receptionist/vet student, said she wasn't too concerned about waiting until then. But then, she isn't here with Jasper right now. She doesn't see how he is, even though you can trust that I described his situation in great detail.

Damnit! Why isn't anyone home on a Friday night!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 06:23 PM
    I can only tell you what we do for one of our dogs, Alice, our English Bulldog. She has arthritis and does well with Glucosamine/Chondroitin. You could call your vet back and ask about it, but you'd only get one dose in before tomorrow. Might be something to ask about when you see the vet in the morning.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:26 PM
    I remember someone here saying that their sheriff dept helped them get their dog into the car once, is that an option?
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
    Wish I was closer I so would be there with Henry.. come on Rod you call
    Cats Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:33 PM
    Or a folded sheet sort of like a hammock? Would the kids be able to help carry him if they each grabbed a corner? Of course I don't know how heavy he is or how big they are. But it's a pretty easy way to lift, but you have to remember to grab the sheet up close to his body. You of course would have to take the brunt of the weight, get his front end in first, then climb into the car with him and pull him in the rest of the way using the sheet.
    May not be possible, just a thought.
    And if your guys are little you may not want to chance it.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
    If it turns out that it just won't be possible to get him there tonight, you might feel better, and he might as well, if you or the kids can sleep by him. You might find it reassuring to throw down a sleeping bag or blankets and be able to pet him now and then during the night.
    Cats Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    If it turns out that it just won't be possible to get him there tonight, you might feel better, and he might as well, if you or the kids can sleep by him. You might find it reassuring to throw down a sleeping bag or blankets and be able to pet him now and then during the night.
    True , true I spent many nights on the floor with my Sam, and I think we both slept better.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Have you gone over all his body to look for a tick or a wound? He could have one embedded in his skin, one that's still there, your evidence for Lyme disease. Meanwhile, give him water and the chicken soup.
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Or a folded sheet sort of like a hammock? would the kids be able to help carry him if they each grabbed a corner? Of course I don't know how heavy he is or how big they are. But it's a pretty easy way to lift, but you have to remember to grab the sheet up close to his body. You of course would have to take the brunt of the weight, get his front end in first, then climb into the car with him and pull him in the rest of the way using the sheet.
    May not be possible, just a thought.
    And if your guys are little you may not want to chance it.
    It's really not an option.

Rod just called, I told him what's going on. I called the vet on my cell phone while I had Rod on the phone, and they're closed. It's too late. :(

But we have the appointment tomorrow. He's getting a tablespoon of chicken noodle soup every hour, and water every hour. Should I be limiting his water? I have been because he's been drinking so fast, and so much, that he vomits. I limited the water so he could keep the soup down.

Right now I'm resigned to the fact that I'm doing all I can do. Whatever is meant to be, is meant to be. We'll go tomorrow, do all we can, demand some answers, get him on antibiotics, because really, even if it isn't lyme disease, at this point antibiotics won't hurt him.

If it doesn't work, then I'll have to find a way to accept it, and accept that we did what we could.

That's really all we have left right now. I'm still hoping for the best, but I'm preparing for the worst. Been there, done that, too many times to count.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Right now I'm resigned to the fact that I'm doing all I can do.
    No, you aren't, if you haven't looked for an embedded tick or a bite wound. Think German, here.
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
    I've looked for a tick. But I have to be honest. I don't really know what I'm looking for, and he's very furry. Very very furry.

There's a wound on his leg, the one that he's been limping on, which is what we actually thought was originally the problem. He's been licking at it, worrying it, licked all the fur off. It isn't infected, just bald, and a bit raw. Could that be it?

But I don't see a tick there. Or, if there is one, I don't know how to recognize it. I'm not versed on ticks. Never had to deal with one before. Not ever.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
    Has anyone suggested IVDD??
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

We just had a tick fall off one of our dogs. They don't stay on forever, they fall off once they are engorged enough.

Try looking here for some references. https://www.google.com/search?q=tick...O4K29QTTq5WhBA
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Do you see what he is licking on his leg? A cut or something? Run your fingers very slowly and carefully through every bit of his fur. If there's an embedded tick, at least part of it (its butt) will be sticking out and you will feel it as a small hard thing. Or use a comb and slowly go through his coat. If it hits resistance, check to see what was the cause of that.

It's worth looking, feeling for one. Don't just say, if there was one, it fell off already. Plus, it will give you something constructive to do.
    Cats Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Has anyone suggested IVDD???
    I don't think so, she said they did do x-rays. Only affected limb is 1 front leg.

Alty, I hope tomorrow goes better for you than today has. As far as limiting his water.
    If he is drinking so much at a time that he throws it back up then you are doing him a favor by limiting him somewhat, but maybe you could give him a little more at a time as long as he is keeping it down. You don't him to get dehydrated if you can help it. Do you have any Karo syrup on hand or any thing similar. A little rubbed on his gums and tongue may help to keep his glucose up. Or if you have GatorAde or pedialyte that may also be helpful.
    I can imagine how helpless you must feel right now, I've been there a couple of times.
    Hugs and prayers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need advice regarding pain during sex [ 3 Answers ]

When I have sex it hurts a lot

Limping leg.no sign of pain though? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a five year old Maltese. Last week I noticed him limping a little on his back left leg,(he has been playing with my aunts bigger Whippets for a week) I felt the leg and there wasn't any sign of pain, whimpering etc. when I press or massaged it. I wanted to wait a week before I took...

Limping on and off? [ 7 Answers ]

Trink's been walking funny off and on yesterday and today. There are times when it seems like the right hind joint right at the ankle is "stiff", which makes her gait a little odd... hard to describe, but not as smooth and flowing on that leg as the others, with possibly a bit of a swing out. And...

View more questions Search