Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jon1970 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 12:03 AM
    Can one have a household air compressor on a heat pump remanufactured?
    My heat pump on my house recently went bad. The compressor blew a rod on it. The problem is that the unit is 40 years old so they do not even make parts for it anymore. The air conditioning place told me that they maybe could repair it but they would not guarantee the work. They said they do not make the compressor anymore as the brand of heat pump is no longer made (Goettl) and the unit is 40 years old. They said for $2000 it would be very difficult but they might be able to find a compressor that would work in it but it would not be the original compressor for the unit so they would basically have to "jerry rig" it in there changing all the fittings and doing a bunch of other modifications to it and when it would be done it would not be guaranteed to work. If it would go out I would be on my own. They said if I did that I would have to pay with cash and there would be no receipt given to me. I was wondering if it would be possible to have my compressor remanufactured sort of like they do to automobile compressors since my compressor is no longer made. Unfortunately I would otherwise have to replace the entire unit which would cost me about $7000 and I do not have that kind of money right now. I do not think I have the credit to borrow it either. I live in Phoenix, Arizona where it gets to 118 degrees during the summer so it would be hell without refrigeration, I night even die! Does anyone know if household air compressors can be remanufactured?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2012, 10:29 AM
    I`ve never heard of remanufactured compressor, but maybe someone else has,, there's got to be a compressor that can be put in your unit,, we have a guy that helps in this help desk from your area, he`ll be in here later, he should be able to help you
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Apr 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
    I would stay away from any idea of remanufacturing a compressor. There are compressors that can be used in your unit it may just take some rewiring etc..

Goettl's were great and made right here in PHX back in the day. Unfortunaely their reputation and business died 10 or so years ago (now they are just a service company by that name). I feel your pain about replacing but going on that age you have to ask yourself and think about it.

If you know me or have seen my videos you know I am the last one to throw in the towel on an old unit.

1. Compressor change out with the price of r-22 alone over $1000 to be done right and at that age as soon as you tinker around other stuff always happens.

$7000 is steep for a package unit. Look at some goodmans or others and you can get closer to $4000 in my opinion and be very happy. I know it is still a lot of cash.

I put a vid of a package Geottl we took off a roof that ran for 30 years plus until it had a crack in the compressor seam. It was a pain in the rear leak that only would leak gas when the compressor heated to a specific temperature. Anyway this person was financially strapped and got a 'scratch-n-dent" unit (just fine) and was very happy.

Good luck

here is the PITA leaking Goettl they dont make em like that anymore - the size of the run cap alone was worth making it
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
    At 40 yrs old, you have a very inefficient HP. Check with your local utility to see if they have any income restricted programs. You would make your money back in a couple of years on the power saving.
    Jon1970 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 11:54 PM
    Thanks everyone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My heat pump runs good on a/c but when switched to heat compressor shuts off. [ 0 Answers ]

Heat pump works good on a/c but when I switch to heat it starts OK (big copper line gets very hot) but after 2 minutes the compressor shuts off (condenser fan stays on) After about 8 minutes the compressor starts again then shuts off after a couple of minutes, the heat pump is a trane 5 tone2001....

Armstrong ac (heat pump) blowing hot air, compressor fan runs [ 1 Answers ]

5-YR old heat pump blowing nothing but hot air. Outside compressor fan runs, but cannot tell if compressor is running. Don't think it's a coolant problem - unit was working (cooling) this morning.

Heat pump outdoor fan runs not compressor voltage at compressor good. New compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Have a new compressor. Just replaced fan runs compressor does not, have voltage at the compressor plug? What could stop from coming on high side and low side equal at 100psig.

Goodman cpl t30-1a heat pump, heat not working/no compressor or fan operation [ 5 Answers ]

The thermostat is operating/clicks on when desired temperature is more that the actual, but no action at the compressor or fan. We even switch thermostats from other unit in house and both operate the other unit correctly.

Heat Pump - Blowing hot air from outside compressor & making noise [ 3 Answers ]

My Carrier (M#48GS-003060) heat pump compressor all of a sudden starting making a loud humming noise tonight, when I went to investigate I found the outside unit discharging hot air. Why would it be making the loud humming noise? Is the discharge of hot air related to the noise?

View more questions Search