Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgreese Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2004, 11:30 PM
    My system is slow, but not for normal reasons
    I like to think I know a thing or two about keeping my computer running well, but this problem is no normal malady I don't think.
    Lately my laptop on windows XP (SP1) has been extremely inefficient. Programs will freeze every time they are started (i.e. dell musicmatch jukebox, internet explorer) and other functions often will not initialize when I click on them (i.e. my computer, control panel, disk cleanup utility, and sometimes mcafee virusscan). A few programs that work consistently are AIM, mozilla Firefox, and spy sweeper as well as Teamspeak, version 2, which is actually a background process I think.
    Sometimes however, after closing one program like AIM, or right before I shut down, "my computer" will initialize, even though I clicked on it long ago.

I have scanned my computer multiple times with spybot, adaware SE, spy sweeper trial version, and (when it will open) mcafee viruscan. I have defragmented the hard drive and have tried to use disc cleanup, though it will not work. No malicious software is detected.

I can include the log file I saved from a recent Hijack This scan, if it will be of use. Please help!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2004, 12:55 PM
    XP freezes & slow
    Hi,
    First, you might have a lot (more than normal) programs running in the background; that you really don't need.
    Go to Start/Run, then type in MSCONFIG.
    Click on OK
    Click on the StartUp tab.
    Look to the left at all the programs starting up when you boot up the computer.
    I only use about 12 programs starting up; some of which are 2 startups to the same program.
    Uncheck those that aren't really necessary; like auto updates to anything.

Also, you probably don't need Word or whatever you use starting on boot-up.

Second, Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel.
    Open System. Click on the Performace tab, then click on the Virtual Memory button.
    Now, it's probably set to "Let windows manage my Virtual Memory". Windows does a lousy job of this; cause it uses the ENTIRE hard drive for your swap file; that is, the space it continues calling files to be used for programs. It has to look all over your hard drive in doing this.
    Click on "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings".
    Then, in the Min and Max space, enter the number that is twice your RAM.
    For example, if you have 256 RAM, enter 512 in both the Min and Max space.
    Click on Apply, and OK.
    Windows will "warn you", don't do this. But, do it anyway.
    It causes the swap file to be used in a certain amount of space, like 512 Mb, instead of your entire hard drive, like 40 Gig!
    It will definitely speed up your computer.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 5, 2004, 03:34 PM
    Also, empty the 'prefetch' folder on your computer.

Dec 5, 2004, 09:06 PM
    Getting rid of some startup programs helped a bit, but IE still doesn't work, and most programs still do not respond to my clicks. Word and spy sweeper, and lot of other programs will work for a while, and then freeze.

(PS: What is the prefetch folder and how do I clear it?)
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 6, 2004, 07:21 AM
    Windows XP remembers programs that you have used, and loads them at next startup to shorten the time needed when you re-use that program a next time. Routines to be "prefetched" are stored in the prefetch folder.
    The bad news is that this technique will considerably slow down your computer in general.
    You may without any problem empty the entire prefetch folder:
    C:\windows\prefetch\

Dec 6, 2004, 04:35 PM
    Second, Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel. Open System. Click on the Performace tab, then click on the Virtual Memory button.
    Now, it's probably set to "Let windows manage my Virtual Memory". Windows does a lousy job of this; cause it uses the ENTIRE hard drive for your swap file; that is, the space it continues calling files to be used for programs. It has to look all over your hard drive in doing this.
    Click on "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings".
    Then, in the Min and Max space, enter the number that is twice your RAM...
    Could the above be for for SP2, (I'm on SP1) because first of all, the instructions don't match my computer. However,I found my way to performance/system/advanced/performance settings/advanced again, where there is a tab that talks about paging files and such crap... I have 512 RAM, and the paging file size is custom set at 768-1024. If the paging file is the same as the swap file, I think that no change is necessary. However, programs are STILL freezing after 30 seconds, not responding, etc.

PLEASE HELP
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2004, 06:49 AM
    IE not working
    Hi,
    First, your Min and Max numbers for Virtual Memory should be set to the SAME number; like for example, 1024 for both.

Next, have you tried re-installing IE6?

Here are steps to do that with XP; because IE6 does become corrupted after some time:

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP and XP/SP1

From the Start menu, select Run.
    In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
    Select the OK button.
    Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
    Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.
    Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP and XP/SP1

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
    Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
    Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
    In the All or Part of the File Name box, type IE.inf
    In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
    Click the Search button.
    In the search results pane, find the IE.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
    Right click the IE.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
    Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Then, go to www.microsoft.com , and click on Windows Update, click on Scan and let it scan your computer; then select XP/SP1 to download and install.

If the above does not solve the problem, then please do these below:

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP and XP/SP1

This describes how to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP. You must do this if you are having problems with Internet Explorer or Outlook Express because of damaged files or missing registration information.

IMPORTANT: After you use the procedures in this article, you must reinstall any updates to Windows XP again. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Use either of the following methods while you are logged on as an administrator.

Method 1: Reinstall or Repair Windows XP
    To repair or reinstall Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP, complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator:
    Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer:
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK. Note that you may be prompted to insert the Windows XP installation CD-ROM.
    If this does not correct the problem; then:
    You can Edit the Registry and Install IE 6.0.

1: Edit the Registry and Install Internet Explorer 6

While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify. To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
    To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
    Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK. (to change, right click on the value, then left click on "Modify". Follow instructions).
    Quit Registry Editor, and then download and install Internet Explorer 6.

For information about how to download and install
    Internet Explorer 6, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp

By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be uninstalled.

The above contains different methods for re-installing IE6 with XP. Try the first one, then if it doesn't work for you, try the next.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    patrick54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 06:57 AM

Hi,
    Dear as you are facing this prob from long time with your PC... u can use Advanecd System Optimizer's Registry Cleaner And Optimizer…it helps in optimizing PC with ease…u can try it.. helps a lot.. it is available at
    Advanced System Optimizer 2.01.4 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease due to medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for a friend, she has a special needs daughter (diabetic, bipolar, mildly mentally disabled, and has a lot of psychological problems from sexual and physical abuse from the time she was born until she was 2 and my friend got custody) When they moved into their apartment, she was...

13 Reasons to Smile! [ 4 Answers ]

Jaime sends me the cutest things sometimes... Here's another one. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did - http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_19.gif 13 Reasons to Smile Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I can't even get into my own pants. Marriage changes...

Any reasons to believe superstitions? [ 2 Answers ]

Help me please, today two buttons have come off my clothes, I have heard that it is a very bad sign. Maybe you will laugh at me being so superstitious, but I have so many problems that I don't remember when I was happy:( And because of those buttons I'm really frightened that everything can be...

View more questions Search