Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lakerfan1958 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 09:21 AM
    220V wire size (80 ft length)
    I've been reading these thread and already have a wealth of information. Thank you
    Basic Info:
    I have a bridgeport mill, and DoAll band saw. Both of which are 220 3phase.
    I'm going to have a rotary phase converter to supply the 3 phase.
    The Saw has 3hp & Instant Amps 28 (prob for he blade welder) and normal amps 6
    The mill has 2hp & 7.1 amps.
    The line I need to run to these machines is approximately 80 feet from the Main Panel.
    I'm installing a 40 amp breaker at the panel and running #6 wire the 80 ft from it.
    From there a shut off switch --> rotary cenverter--> on-off-on switch to each machine.

And the questions are:
    Is this wire size adequate?
    Do I need another Breaker before the converter? Or after?

Thanks in advance
    Richard

Location is Los Angeles area
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2012, 04:07 AM
    Richard,
    Wire Size? - I would consult the phase converter manufacturer for this as they do list breaker sizes based on load and converter size.
    Another Breaker? - I would recommend a fused disconnect "after" the phase converter with fuses sized as close to actual running load as possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 wire 220v supply to 4 wire 220v appliances? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 wire supply to my oven #8 black, #8 white and a bare copper wire. Both black and white are hot - 120V on both to the copper wire. I just bought a new 220V oven that is 4 wire - black, white, red and copper. How do I hook it up? Black to black, red (oven) to white, white (oven) and copper...

What size wire for 220v 100 amp service at 100 feet [ 7 Answers ]

I am running 220v 100 ft to a 125 amp sub panel. A welder would be the heaviest thing used. (around 200 amp welder) what size copper wire would I need running in pvc underground

Wire size vs Run Length for flood lights [ 6 Answers ]

I will be installing 3 exterior flood lights ( each light has 3 - 150 watt bulbs). They will be controlled from 4 switches ( two 3 ways at each end, and two 4 ways in the middle). The last 4- way switch will go to a junction box that then feeds all three lights. Wire run lengths are: Panel to...

Unsure how to splice 4 wire 220v to 3 wire 220v [ 1 Answers ]

OK I trying to get 220v in my garage from my unused dryer outlet it has 4 wires feeding into it 1 bare 1 neutral 2 hot I was going to buy some 10/3 and splice it and run it the 50 ft I need to get to garage for a air compressor now 2 things it only reads 230v at box is that sufficient to travel...

Vintage stove- 3 wire 220v, what size wire? [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a vintage Crosley range. The old wire was a 3-wire 220v, connected to terminals in the back- the black and red wires were actually 6 or so copper strands, and the white was a silver metal. My question is, what amperage do you think I need? Will 10 be enough? Thanks for your...

View more questions Search