Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmwanakambwa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 07:56 AM
    What are the main causes of high fuel consumption on a car
    I have noticed high consumption of fuel lately on my subaru legacy even after changing the oil and air filter not the spark plugs. Please advise
    zddiab Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 12:49 AM
    Hi,

I have a BMW 2006 320i 18HP (150). I have a fuel consumption problem, the car is not providing any better then 150Km per 20Liter. It should easily get the 200Km per 20Liter. Any special reason for that. The Car is somehow new, and all services are in green lights, (as OK for service). Why should I have that low cunsumption then!

Thank You.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 06:42 AM
    FYI - for those of us on this side of the pond 7.5Km/L is equivalent to 17.5 MPG.

zddiab - you have an '06 and yet you say "the car is somehow new?" It's not new - it's 6 years old. If the service lights are all green that means the previous owner had them reset, but it's not a guarantee that all services have been performed. I would suggest having a qualified garage or BMW dealer do an inspection for you - perhaps there's an issue with the fuel or intake system. But the first thing to check are tire inflation pressures.

Jul 17, 2012, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    FYI - for those of us on this side of the pond 7.5Km/L is equivalent to 17.5 MPG.

zddiab - you have an '06 and yet you say "the car is somehow new?" It's not new - it's 6 years old. If the service lights are all green that means the previous owner had them reset, but it's not a guarantee that all services have been performed. I would suggest having a qualified garage or BMW dealer do an inspection for you - perhaps there's an issue with the fuel or intake system. But the first thing to check are tire inflation pressures.

Hi,

What I meant by New is that the car is still not used a lot, though its 2006. I will check the tires, but also don't your think the spark plugs have a role as well ? Thanks a lot.
    Expert

Jul 18, 2012, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zddiab View Post
    Hi,

what i meant by New is that the car is still not used a lot, though its 2006. I will check the tires, but also dont your think the spark plugs have a role as well ? thanks a lot.
    Could be, though modern plugs in fuel injected cars typically don't foul unless there's an issue with the air/fuel mixture - especially if your car is low mileage. Again, have a garage check it out.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Air Filter, Tune up, tire pressure, and brakes dragging.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
    Vehicles weight and shape are also factors.

Jul 26, 2012, 03:01 AM
    The fuel used must be unleaded 95 or unleaded 98?
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zddiab View Post
    the fuel used must be unleaded 95 or unleaded 98 ??
    Check the owner's manual for recommended fuel octane. I think the basic recommendation is 95. However - octane has little to no effect on fuel mileage.

Note to US & Canada readers - octane as advertised in Europe is under the RON (Reasearch Octabe Number) system. Here in the US and Canada we use a system called Anti-Knock Index (AKI), which is an average of RON and MON (Motor Octane Number), and you see indicated as (RON+MON)/2 on fuell pumps. RON tends to be about 5 points higher than AKI. So their 95 and 98 is about equivalent to our 91 and 93.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Check the owner's manual for recommended fuel octane. However - octane has little to no effect on fuel mileage.

Note to US readers - octane as advertised in the UK is under the RON (Reasearch Octabe Number) system. Here in the US we use a sytem called Anti-Knock Index (AKI), which is an average of RON and MON (Motor Octane Number), and you see indicated as (RON+MON)/2 on fuell pumps. RON tends to be about 5 points higher than AKI. So their 95 or 98 is equivalent to our 90 or 93.
    I thought The Higher octanes got better Mileage?
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I thought The Higher octanes got better Mileage?
    In general - no, as long as you use the minimum recommended by the manufacturer. For BMW in the US it's 91 octane or higher. If you use 93 instead of 91 you will see virtually no benefit in terms of mileage or performance. But if you drop to 87 the engine will compensate by retarding ignition timing - you may sense the engine struggling a bit, especially under heavy load (accelerating up a hill, pulling a trailer, etc) and your mileage may suffer. So use the minimum recommended and that will be optimum.

By the way, in the US one of the factors that can significantly affect gas mileage is the use of ethanol blends. Ethanol has about 33% less energy content per gallon than gasoline, and so when they blend up to 10% ethanol into the gas your mileage will be reduced by about 3%. Cars that use E85 (85% ethanol) can expect about a 30% decrease in MPG. This despite the fact that ethanol actually has a higher octane rating than gasoline!
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 06:05 AM
    Strange.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High fuel consumption [ 1 Answers ]

My car is corolla 2005 model. With full tank of 13 gallons, I make between 250 and 300 miles, translating to by the way 19 and 23 mpg. Manufacturers standard for this car is by the way 30 and 40 mpg. I notice in the morning when I start the car, it revs to 2000 rev/min and gradually reduce to...

High fuel consumption [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, Who ha sthe rough idea of what is the ideal fuel consumption /100km highway driving for a 2000 cc mitsubishi GDI Engine

I'm currently driving a 2000 Volvo S40 T4, and have realized that within the last 2 months my fuel/gas consumption has increased dramatically. I would appreciate advise on what to do and what the cause may be as it has not been in for servicing that it is due for at the workshop.

I have honda 1997 model v6 engine the fuel consumption is high, tell me the normal fuel consumption in litres/km and solution to this high fuel consumption. Thanks. >Moved to Cars & Trucks Board<

High fuel consumption [ 4 Answers ]

My Honda Civic 91 DX has bad gas mileage - about 21MPG. What could be the cause of it? I know underinflated tires can cause it, but my tires are properly inflated (as Service Manual states). I have the following items all new, so I should remove them from the list of possible causes: oxygen...

View more questions Search