Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinkerbellbabes Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Feb 21, 2007, 08:18 PM
    What is effective way of creating attitude change within management?
    I'm a volunteer working for an organization where there is absolutely no commitment and motivation from the board and management. I believe that attitude change is needed to save this organization. When it comes to leadership, what is the best way in dealing with someone who has an attitude problem in terms of carrying with his responsibilities as president. He is just too lazy to do anything saying he is always busy, he lacks focus, he is a dreamer (mostly are achievable and feasibility) but never get the job done. What's the best way to deal with changing attitude and behaviour? How do you motivate these people with a behaviour problem?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2007, 08:33 PM
    How is this company surviving? Without a motivated board of directors and president, how sound is it - financially? What exactly is your role as a volunteer? Do you have access to the Board of Directors? If you made a presentation to them, based solely on supportable facts, would they listen? Does the Board see you as someone they trust and can rely on?

It is a tough position you are in - is this organization part of a larger group? Is there a parent organization that could or would step in?

Whatever you decide to do, you need all the facts and supporting documentation. Emotional pleas do not solve much.

I know what I would do in your shoes... lol... been a long time since being an activist... but sometimes there is that someone that needs to take the step. Just beware of what you are doing, who is going to be alienated or ostracized (it may well be yourself), and count the cost of both doing something here or not doing something.

Wishing you the best.
    tinkerbellbabes Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Feb 21, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    How is this company surviving? Without a motivated board of directors and president, how sound is it - financially? What exactly is your role as a volunteer? Do you have access to the Board of Directors? If you made a presentation to them, based solely on supportable facts, would they listen? Does the Board see you as someone they trust and can rely on?

It is a tough position you are in - is this organization part of a larger group? Is there a parent organization that could or would step in?

Whatever you decide to do, you need all the facts and supporting documentation. Emotional pleas do not solve much.

I know what I would do in your shoes...lol...been a long time since being an activist... but sometimes there is that someone that needs to take the step. Just beware of what you are doing, who is going to be alienated or ostracized (it may well be yourself), and count the cost of both doing something here or not doing something.

Wishing you the best.

Thank you for your reply. It is started as an association of people working in the same industry for 10 years now but they recently formalized themselves into charitable org. I'm helping them set up the organization and put system and structures. They want to move forward and they know their issues and have their vision but they are just not committed on contributing to its development. It is hard to move organization forward when the leaders are too heavy to push in moving a step forward.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 09:22 PM
    The president would have to deligate authority to a manger who would be focused, the issue of the leader who is creative not being a good manager, so they have to know when to give the authority to run things to someone else.

I have worked for companies ran by designers, get people, but no management skills, so they hired people to run things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-teen son with an attitude [ 6 Answers ]

My pre-teen son, age 12, already acts like a teenager. He is frequently disrespectful to me and more so to his stepdad (who has been there since he was 4 years old). Sometimes he acts like he doesn't love my husband, who loves and cares for us both. He smarts off a lot and answers our questions...

Effective Communication [ 2 Answers ]

In your opinon, do you feel online communication is effective? I feel in my experience that is is very misleading and causes a lot of misunderstandings. Anyone have any guidance on how to use email effectively in colleague works.

Is this effective? [ 4 Answers ]

:p hello, I have darker skin on my face due to excessive sun damage and now I am wondering how I can get rid of this:( , I have currently been using a cream called "Superfade Original" and it seemed to work as my forehead as shown some improvement. All I want to know is, is this cream...

Effective Persuasive writing [ 2 Answers ]

How can I treat the subject of an essay objectively while still trying to persuade readers of my point of view?

View more questions Search