Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    want2learn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 07:50 PM
    7 year old baptism?
    I want to get my child baptised in a catholic church, and was told that the child has to be baptised before being 8 or then she will have to take classes for 2 years after that she will do baptis, confirmation, etc. What is the difference from a infant baptism and a older child baptism. Can you please tell me what happens exactly at a baptism for a 7 year old child? :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 08:01 PM
    It's a rule, infants with no knowledge of good and evil ( innocent but with original sin) can be baptised, once they get knowledge of sin, they have to be educated prior to baptism.

The baptism is the same, I don't agree with their rules but it is just there rules.

Now also understand that the Catholic Church reconsies any other churches baptism, so just have him baptised and it is a legit baptism.

Also there are many groups or orders like ours, that have valid sacrements within the Catholic Church, ( sacrements valid, priests considered irregular) but any baptism is valid and accepted by the Catholic church ( although they prefer thierown, but don't require you to get rebapitised if you were in another church.

I don't believe at all in waiting years for baptism, (actually don't believe in waiting at all once they want to be baptised)
    yellowdvl2000 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by want2learn
    i want to get my child baptised in a catholic church, and was told that the child has to be baptised before being 8 or then she will have to take classes for 2 years after that she will do baptis, confirmation, etc. What is the difference from a infant baptism and a older child baptism. Can you please tell me what happens exactly at a baptism for a 7 year old child??:confused:
    Wow I just got my 6 yr old baptized catholic. There isn't much difference. My church explained to her what they going to do to her. She was scared a little but got over it. They don't do a big ceremony in front of church for older kids. So you have her or him in white have god parents there if you have any and the mom and dad. Then have a little cake and coffee at your house afterwards and invite more people. That's how ours was done. Oh and for anyone to judge you for waiting so long tell them to read the bible jesus was a lot older then 7. if I remember right he was an adult. So when you feel the time is right for baptizing your child you do it. Good luck
    yellowdvl2000 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 03:34 PM
    You are so welcome. If you get no where with one church you go to other churches till you get the answer you want even if you have to become a member of their church. The church I went to was very helpful and not judgemental like a lot of priest are now a days if you need any more help I can always call up my church and ask them what you should do too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baptism (Baby or older)? [ 32 Answers ]

Everybody has different beliefs and belong to different denominations. My question is for parents. Have you had your baby baptised when he/she was a baby. Or have some of you decided to wait until the child is older to make up his/her own mind on what they want to do. What are your beliefs on...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

Baptism [ 2 Answers ]

What is a nice gift for a great granddaughters baptism?

View more questions Search