Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    little bear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Legal steps to relinguishing rights to unborn baby
    I have found out that I am 5 weeks 5 days pregnant. My ex fiancée is the father, but he doesn't want any part of it. I want to know exactly how to go about legally getting him to relinguishing his rights, so that down the road I don't have to worry about him trying to come back into our lives. I don't want child support from him and plan on doing this on my own. I want to have a life after this free of conflict in case, I should find someone that is welling to take on a single mom and child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 08:06 PM
    First you are making a lot of choices for your baby because you don't like the babies father.

First unless you marry and have someone who wants to adopt, you can't have him give away his obligation to child support, and it is not your money, it is the babies money you are being so free giving away..

If you don't want it for the baby, save it up and use it for the babies college fund.

But anyway, nothing can be done till the baby is born, he can give up his custody and visitation rights, but can not give up his child support obligations. The state also has a interest in the child support, since if the baby end up on welfare or public assistance the state has the right to go after the father for money.
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Oct 12, 2008, 11:49 PM

You have to go to court and have him sign away his rights to his child he has to go up in front of the judge and the judge will ask him why and ask him if this is really what he wants. Its not an easy process and can be heart wrenchingbut if that is what he wants he needs to find a lawyer but he will have to pay child support till the judge signs the order and tell him he doesn't have to any more...

Good luck
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mishelly3 View Post
    You have to go to court and have him sign away his rights to his child he has to go up in front of the judge and the judge will ask him why and ask him if this is really what he wants. Its not an easy process and can be heart wrenchingbut if that is what he wants he needs to find a lawyer but he will have to pay child support till the judge signs the order and tell him he doesnt have to any more....

Good luck

This is an old post and you have given incorrect legal advice. Should be closed.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mishelly3 View Post
    You have to go to court and have him sign away his rights to his child he has to go up in front of the judge and the judge will ask him why and ask him if this is really what he wants. Its not an easy process and can be heart wrenchingbut if that is what he wants he needs to find a lawyer but he will have to pay child support till the judge signs the order and tell him he doesnt have to any more....

Good luck

This is an old post and your "legal advice" is incorrect - should be closed.

You may want to search through some of the many threads on this same subject for reference.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 13, 2008, 07:18 PM

Yea, I have to agree... I have never heard of a parent being able to give up their parental rights UNLESS in the case of an adoption. Just because they don't want the child, does not mean they can get rid of their rights -- from my understanding.
    I have to agree with the above posts. Get him for child support, and put that money away for the child's college fund, first car, OR for a rainy day. You never know what may happen, and its always a good idea to have some savings in case you'll need it for him/her.
    He doesn't have to see the child, you don't even have to see him. If its court ordered it can be direct deposited into your account, or an account specifically for the child... but its money that the child should have (and personally, in my opinion, he created the child so he NEEDS to pay for him/her)
    Best of luck,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my unborn child'd father to sign his rights over [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, Im not sure how this all works, but. I was dating this guy and a month into the relationship I ended up pregnant. When I was about 3 months pregnant we broke up. He declares that the baby is not his (even though it is) he doesn't believe me. He wants a DNA test done to see if it is and if it is...

Custody Rights to Unborn Child [ 9 Answers ]

Do I automatically have custody rights to my unborn child since I am not married and paternity has not been established? Does the alleged father have legal rights to force prenatal paternity testing? Does agreeing to paternity testing automatically give him custody rights if it is determined that...

Legal rights/paternity [ 4 Answers ]

I found out I have a two y/o son recently. Mother says she got pregnant purposely to have sibling for older brother. She agreed to let me see him which I have regularly since I found out. I also established paternity through a blood test. Problem is, I want to see child more than mother wants me...

Mother Signing Away Legal Rights [ 3 Answers ]

My husband had a baby with a woman seven months that wants nothing to do with the baby. She hasn't seen her since the day she was born. She is willing to sign away her legal rights, how much would it cost her to do that? If it's possible.

Rights to unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

If a child is born and it is proved to be mine, can I file for custody of the child now or do I have to wait?:confused:

View more questions Search