Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtchubb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
    Abandoned real estate, laws about it in Virginia
    We own a rowhouse in Richmond, Va. The building has four units and one of the ones next door to us has been abandoned for years. It attracts vagrants and homeless people on the porch, which is open and inches from ours. The trash and food and urine left behind is nasty. The owner won't sell, but doesn't have the money to fix it up. What can we do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
    Buy it from him. Report the problem to the local housing department. But as long as he pays the taxes, its unlikely you can get anything done. He might be fined for not securing the property.

Apr 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
    He won't sell. I'd love to buy it. So, I'll just proceed AGAIN with local housing dept. The first time we complained about rats because of unkempt, overgrown back yard. He was fined and got very angry with my son (who lives there while in college). He is a "slumlord" in Richmond, grew up in the house so won't sell it, but can't afford to fix it up. Too bad if he gets mad, as a landlord, he should know the laws. Thanks for your quick response.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
    If he is paying the taxes the property is not abandoned but simple vacant and not kept up. Scott's thinking would work great, if you have the money. Call the cops every time a vagrant shows up, they'll find some other place to flop.

Apr 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    If he is paying the taxes the property is not abandoned but simple vacant and not kept up. Scott's thinking would work great, if you have the money. Call the cops every time a vagrant shows up, they'll find some other place to flop.
    Fortunately, I believe, my son has a soft heart for the homeless people, especially in cold weather. The main concern is the blight on the neighborhood and our property value, as we are preparing to refinance. I don't blame the homeless people, I just think the property should be maintained or sold.

Apr 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
    Half of your 1st post was a complaint about homeless, vagrants, urine and garbage. Take away that and all you have is a run down home which has to get pretty bad before the city will step in. I have a neighbor not quite as bad as your's so I know what I think about maintenance but, unfortunately, that is not up to us. The owner has a right to foolishly let his place fall apart.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
    You are calling code enforcement every week. You are calling and writing your local counsel person every couple weeks. You don't worry who the owner gets mad at, you get him fined and fined and fined, till he does something.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dtchubb View Post
    ... What can we do?
    File suit to enjoin the nuisance.

Apr 13, 2012, 07:21 PM
    While I do not disagree with the previous posts I don't think I have heard any real description that would trigger a suit or code violation. Talk of trash and food/urine from vagrants is what I read and then the OP says the son has a soft spot for the homeless. Calling the police about trespassers and vagrants will eliminate or minimize those issues. Virginia has had a vagrancy law on the books since the Civil War, demand the police enforce it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 14, 2012, 04:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I don't think I have heard any real description that would trigger a suit or code violation.
    If the property is vacant it needs to be secured. If its not, allowing vagrants to easily move in, that could be a code violation. Unkempt grounds is also a code violation.

Apr 14, 2012, 07:45 AM
    We have not been told that by the OP. The post says the vagrants are on the porch, I am sure if it was insecure they'd go inside. They should call the police to enforce the existing laws or get them a garbage can and a port-a-potty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real estate laws [ 3 Answers ]

If a person originally puts a their house on the market including apliances, are they allowed to change their mind just before closing and not include them? Is there laws concerning this matter?

Real Estate laws in AZ [ 2 Answers ]

My fiance` was recently arrested on some old warrants. I used my home as collateral for the bond along with 800. About 3 weeks later, I was afraid that he was going to screw up and I would lose my house, so I revoked the bond and he went to jail. Now, the bond co. wants another 800. For putting...

Real estate meth laws [ 5 Answers ]

I have bought a home and it was used for a meth lab. What are the laws regarding this, should I have been told by the realtor? What are the effects of this on children in the home? I live in Alabama.

Real Estate Laws [ 3 Answers ]

If A rental property comes with appliances, who is responsible if the appliance stop working properly. The tenant or the renter? :confused:

View more questions Search