Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radios Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
    Is it safe to replace the sight glass on a gas water heater with nashua 324 tape?
    I just moved into a house I'm renting and the sight glass on the gas water heater is missing. Aluminum foil and Nashua 324 tape are covering it as of yesterday and since then I have smelled a burning plastic smell. Is this safe? The Nashua tape was put on by a man from the gas company. Should I call them back? If not them, who should I call?

Thank you.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
    Im going to have to say not on this one. I would suggest calling in a plumber and have them order a complete burner access door with sight glass. This is really the only correct way to correct the issue.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
    I agree with mygirlsdad,, but if you expect the landlord to foot the bill,I would talk it over with him beforehand
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
    The sight glass is for visual inspection only. To see if the pilot is lit. Its not a heat shield. You should not have any high temps in that area at all, if you do the lack of air flow will suffocate the pilot and shut the main valve off. If you have a lot of heat rolling out the bottom of the heater you have problems.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
    I agree T-Top. However, if for any reason there happened to be a problem that caused a fire (not likely at all, I know) and they decided it was due to someone breaking out the sight glass and it wasn't properly replaced to manufactures specs, somebody would have lawyers crawling all over them. Its all about the sealed combustion act. Heck, you can't even open that door up without replacing the seal by law anymore. In my opinion, its all a joke, but a joke we as professionals have to take very seriously to avoid litigation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace a gas control valve on water heater [ 4 Answers ]

Can you replace aunitrol gas water heater valve with a robert shaw valve?

How to replace Thermocouple in Gas Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I need help in removing the thermocouple in the gas water heater made by State Industries. It seems very difficult to reach inside.

Can Nashua 324 Tape be use on the INSIDE of metal duct at furnace out take? [ 9 Answers ]

I've used nashua 324A tape to seal up the custom metal duct I had to create to connect up my furnace to the existing heating duct. I used it on the inside and outside and was wondering if I'm at risk of a possible fire. The tape is rated to 325 degrees but I just wanted get some confirmation...

Apollo Hydroswirl 75 gallon Gas Water Heater leaking, replace? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, My Apollo Hydroswirl heater installed in 1992 began producing less hot water than normal so I did what any good homeowner would. Nothing. Ha ha Unfortunately, the reduction in hot water forced me to make an inspection under the house. I will attach several pictures for your consideration...

Must replace vent seals on gas all heater [ 1 Answers ]

Vent not properly venting on gas all heater

View more questions Search