Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jagr068 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 11:12 PM
    NJ Nonresidence filing: Net gain from selling stocks
    Hi,

I have a question about my NJ non-residence tax return filing. I am a residence of Virginia and worked from Jan - Nov 2011. Then I worked in NJ for the month of December (was a residence for less than 30 days there since I commute on the weekend). I sold some stocks in around May of 2011 for a profit. Since this net gain was obtained in May of 2011, I don't need to report this net gain from selling stocks in the NJ non-residence tax return filing, correct? I am asking because for some reason TaxACT included this in my NJ non-residence filing.

Thanks

John
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 11:16 PM
    You do not pay any tax to NJ on the sale of stocks. This is not NJ income.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 13, 2012, 05:47 AM
    Mukata is correct that you don't pay tax to NJ on income that is not NJ-source. However as a non-resident you must report ALL income for the year to NJ - including your wages from the first job and the profit on this stock sale. The reason is that it determines the appropriate tax bracket for you, which is dependent on your total income for the year. The calculation requires you to first calculate NJ tax as if it was all taxable by NJ, then you multiply that by a fraction representing the percent for your income that is actually taxed by NJ. So yes - you must report it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I figure out equity without liability? Only stocks, net income, and dividends? [ 1 Answers ]

I am so confused with this accounting question, I understand that Assets = Liabilities + Equity, but how do you figure out Equity without the liability, only stocks, net income, and dividends? Here is the question... What is the amount of equity on December 31, 2009? FINANCIAL STATEMENT FOR...

The effect of the gain in net income on the bonds [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know the effect on the bonds when the net income increase

Residence or nonresidence [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on March 2006 with J1 visa and worked in a University, and then changed my status to O-1 visa on Dec2 007 and work in a company to date. I am wondering if I should file tax as a residence? Thanks for your input!

Options when selling house with net loss? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All - We just received an offer for our home which will result in a net loss of 40K out of our pockets. My husband and I are getting divorced, I want to move closer to my work, I can't afford the house much longer, and I just want out. Our neighbors who own the Same house turned down two...

View more questions Search