Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lancelot82 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 05:50 PM
    W-7 form with my tax return
    I am on F1 OPT and my wife has a F2 visa. She is not eligible to work in US and cannot get SSN. This year I ll file my taxes as a resident alien for the first time and I am planning to do with the status "married filing jointly". However, I need to enter my wife's SSN to be able do it. Do I need to provide a letter of denial from social security office stating that she cannot get a SSN in order to get her ITIN application (W7) approved? OR is it okay to just send a copy of her passport with W-7 attached to our tax return?

Also does the address we send the forms to change the results? Some people recommend to send the tax forms to
    Internal Revenue Service
    ITIN Operation
    Mail Stop 6090-AUSC
    3651 S. Interregional, Hwy 35
    Austin, TX 78741-0000 SINCE WE HAVE THE W7 FORM IN IT

Thanks!
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Apr 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
    If you send by UOS, FEDEX etc, you send it to the address you provided.
    Internal Revenue Service
    ITIN Operation
    Mail Stop 6090-AUSC
    3651 S. Interregional, Hwy 35
    Austin, TX 78741-0000

They also have a PO box:
    Internal Revenue Service
    Austin Service Center
    ITIN Operation
    P.O. Box 149342
    Austin, TX 78714-9342

You do not need to include the rejection letter from the SS office.

You need to get the copy of the passport notarized by a notary public.
    Sometimes they also want a marriage certificate when applying for an ITIN for a spouse.
    I would just send a notarized copy of that as well.

Apr 12, 2012, 07:14 PM
    So Can I send the W-7 with my tax files to ITIN operation office without a problem? Does the ITIN office also process the tax documents?

Thanks for your helpful response!
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Apr 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
    Yes, you send form W7 together with the federal return to the ITIN Operations office. They will issue an ITIN and forward your return for processing.

Apr 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
    Also, for the reason for submitting W-7, I plan to select Spouse of U.S. citizen/resident alien, would that be okay?

Also, for Foreign address, I plan to enter my parents home address in our home country but we are not really living there. Would it be better leave the foreign address part empty?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which form should I use to file the tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I was in USA for 5 months in 2010 on L1 visa. Now I am in india. On W2 form Taxable marital status is 'married'. Along with W7 form to get ITIN for my spouse which form I need to submit to get the federal and VA state tax return? I am confused between forms ----1040NR and 1040 NR-EZ. Please...

W7 form and tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I attched W7-form for my wife's ITIN with my tax return filing. How many days can I get tax refund? Thanks. My tax filing staus is married jointly filing status. Thanks for help.

I had filed W-7 & tax return form, I got my ITIN, when should expect my tax returns? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I had my filed W-7 (for ITIN ) & my husbands tax return form, I got my ITIN , so in how many days should I expect my tax returns?

Form 1040X - Amended tax return for tax credit - lines 18-24 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question about filling out the tax form 1040X. I am trying to apply for the first time home buyer tax credit. I have filled out form 5405, but need to complete filling out form 1040X but I can not get the numbers to add up. I need help understanding what I should put on lines 18-20....

Tax Return form and Tax Status-F1 to H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Dear, I am Korean who grew up in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. I am Korean citizen, but I hold Bolivia residency. I came to California on February 16, 2001 under B-1 visa. After 5 weeks, I went back to Santa Cruz, Bolivia in order to get F-1 visa. Then, in June 02, 2001 I came back to California...

View more questions Search