Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gregnelson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Land Contract buyers rights when the seller dies and has a mortgage on the property
    I am thinking a signing a land contract with my father. My father is 80 years old and has a mortgage on the property. What happens if he passes.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnelson View Post
    I am thinking a signing a land contract with my father. My father is 80 years old and has a mortgage on the property. What happens if he passes.
    Read the mortgage note to double-check, but I would assume that his estate, or his heirs, could continue to make the payments until the note is paid off. The heirs would presumably inherit the property subject to the obligation to make the mortgage payments, as well as to your land contract. Or you could arrange to pay off the mortgage and get title from the estate or the heirs. Has your father considered writing a will in which these arrangements would be specified?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seller breaks land contract agreement? [ 8 Answers ]

Our seller keeps breaking our written land contract. What are our options? He sold our mineral rights to a company for 10years with the right to put things on our property(still hasn't let us know); didn't give us the tax bill with in 10 days, or the mortgage interest statement for our taxes. My...

Seller for a contract for deed dies [ 5 Answers ]

Seller for a contract for deed dies and there is no PR appointed yet. Can the buyer pay off the amount to anyone else such as: clerk of courts or register of deeds?

Contract for deed, seller dies [ 4 Answers ]

Two questions: Can my mom sell me one of her investment properties on contract for deed if there is a mortgage on the property? What happens if she dies,the existing mortgage has not been paid off, and we have a contract for deed on the property?

Land contract buyers rights [ 5 Answers ]

I am in a land contract with myself and two other parties. (Property was purchased for this purpose) One party obtained the financing (which this was not me) while me and other party are paying our third of everything included in purchasing, including down payment, monthly mortgage, insurance, (you...

Land contract default by seller? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently 3 years and 2 months into a 10 year land contract. The sellers contacted me last week and said they are getting divorced and want me to get a mortgage in my own name or they are going to put the house up for sale. I have paid $20,000 of $65,000. Is this legal for them to do?

View more questions Search