Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bumble1290 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 08:23 PM
    Inappropriate behaviour
    My partner is Indonesian and has just started working for a national sporting body in Indonesia. I'm an exapt working for a multi national company in Indonesia. My partner is becoming increasingly alarmed with what she describes as inapproporate behaviour in the workplace. To give you a few expamples of what she means. She is contracted to work every other weekend, on the weekend she is not working, her boss starts sending her messages early AM along the lines of are you awake, I just fancy chatting to someone as this is a long drive. Then one evening at 22:20 another message asking "Are you asleep?". I find this very inappropriate as I'm not sure what is that urgent at 22:20 in the evening that cannot wait until the following morning.

My partner is a very attractive woman and does attract a bit of attention, but she is a bit perturbed when staff in the office say things to her like "I think he likes you" and "when we going out to dinner with me", but to name a few of the things being said. Being the new person in the office she is obviously treading very lightly and has brushed these comments off by saying behave yourself or I have a partner. Although they seem to pay no attention to her about this.

Now if something like this happened in my company action would be taken as we do not tollerate sexual harassment of any kind. But in Indonesia it appears these sort of rules do not apply, so going to HR when you're the new person, may not be seen as you are wanting to fruitful career in this industry, nor would I think they would act on it.

So I'm asking for any tips from you guys and girls on how you would best go about trying to defuse these types of comments and messages as I've stated before the same rules in relation to sexual harassment in the western world do not seem to apply in Indonesia and "behave yourself" and "I have a partner" just aren't cutting it.

Anything you can tell me, without be blatently rude will be greatly appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
    Not really up on the culture there, but I would say for now, just don't answer the text and just see if they stop.
    bumble1290 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 08:52 PM
    Different world up here in relation to HR rules and regulations. I advised her to not reply to the messages, but this is her boss doing this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Appropriate versus inappropriate behaviour between a husband and co-worker [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, is it appropriate for a husband to drive a female co- worker home from work daily, as well as offering to drive her to doctor's appointments? Please let me know what you think. Many thanks, ...

Inappropriate father daughter behaviour [ 9 Answers ]

We were living together for a year. We have since broken up but he still contacts me . Last week he called me and asked me to go out. During dinner he starts telling me about how his 14 year old daughters breasts are growing and getting bigger. How well they are developing etc. What does it mean...

Not sure about his behaviour! [ 6 Answers ]

This guy is my cousin's friend. He showed his interest in me. We were talking since few months over the internet and phone calls and met each other after 2-3 months. We met twice and this guy tried to be cozy, though he never forced me. Then again when we met he tried to be cozy.. n when I stopped...

What does his behaviour mean [ 1 Answers ]

I was with a guy a while back for nearly 6months. Then all of a sudden (one day we were together normally, then the next we weren't) he just totally stopped inviting me out and started treating me differently. He kept talking to me, but making cruel comments occasionally. Now he's started...

What does this behaviour mean? [ 11 Answers ]

I know I should just dump him technically speaking but when you love someone properly you seek out reasons for why he is acting a certain way etc. First off, I am pregnant - nearly 24 weeks gone and 26 yrs old, v miserable and alone, working my bum off in Ireland, to try and get money up for...

View more questions Search