Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mange Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2004, 02:54 PM
    My Win Me freeze during start
    Hi, my computer freezes when I start my computer. When I open my computer it gives choices such as run windows in NORMAL, SAFE MODE... but when I do in any, it just hangs, with the win screen but no start bar and no shortcut. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me, please.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2004, 04:57 PM
    ME freezing
    Hi,
    Here are some maintenance steps that you can do to solve these issues:
    Do the Registry Repair first, then the Scandisk.

Registry Repair should be done whenever there are problems:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

Before doing any of the following; turn off wallpaper and screensavers before re-starting or re-booting the computer.

Safe Mode is best where indicated, because most programs are not running meaning their files are closed, or not in use. This allows them to be scanned much better, repaired, or defragged better.

1. Scandisk
    Start in Safe Mode by:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter
    After it boots to Safe Mode, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and click on Scandisk.
    (It is faster if set on "Standard", the "Thorough" usually is not needed and takes a long, long time).
    Click on "Start" and let it run until finished.

2. Defrag
    When Scandisk is finished, click on "Close".
    Now, go back to the same place, but this time, click on "Defrag".
    Click on OK, and wait until it finishes (might take 1 hour if not done within a month).
    After it finishes, Click on OK or whatever.
    Then, re-boot.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 3, 2004, 07:01 PM
    After you have done all the previous recommendations, and it still doesn't work, sit down and cry. You probably have powered off your computer while Windows was still shutting down.
    Reinstalling Windows might be the only right solution.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2004, 01:00 PM
    ME freezing
    Hello,
    Even if you powered off your computer before windows shuts down; by holding down the on-off button on the computer for about 5 seconds (as some do); it should re-boot with no problem... I have mine set to run Scandisk on a bad shutdown.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Jan 7, 2005, 11:06 PM
    It sounds like the PC is overheating. Check your CPU fan for functionality and correct spin speed.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 17, 2005, 12:17 AM
    Win ME help
    Here is the simplest answer to WinME problems.

Format your Hard Drive and Install anoter operating system, preferably Winxp with all updates,

WInME sucks and is the worst operating system ever.

That's it, don't try to fix ME, destroy it. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intermittent freeze up revisited... [ 6 Answers ]

To all: To summarize: the intake, the outflow, freon, etc. have been determined to be fine. I guess what I'm really trying to evaluate is the blower motor itself. It is a multi-speed type, although only 2 speeds are used (med & high). Has anyone experience a motor that intermittently doesn't...

Anti freeze leak [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 99' chrysler lhs leaking anti-freeze. Its not a slow leak, I am constantly adding more around once every other week. I can't figure it out where it is going. No puddles or spots, not in the oil, it's just disapearing. I have high miles (151k) and I am fearing the worst. Is it leaking into...

HP Freeze [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having trouble with my computer freezing up after 10 min. running. I did a system recovery, but did not help. The problrm began when I was up and running online and I moved the computer an inch or two to hook up speakers to the back. The only way I can shut it off is to hold the start...

Computer freeze [ 3 Answers ]

Am using win xp, when I open start menu on my desktop and then for e.g. programs-accessories- system tools, or any other program comp freezes up,can only access task manager by using ctrl alt del,which shows nothing happening, moving cursor over this window brings up egg timer icon, then have to...

View more questions Search