Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kkroupa44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Forged IRS check
    My ex-spouse and ex-mother-in-law forged my name on an IRS refund check. I have submitted a form to a IRS location in CA but still not heard a word. I am afraid they are not going to do anything after looking at information on the internet and seeing at least one other person that still has to hear of any results or processing of a similar situation. Does anyone know how this process works or who to contact for such reporting?

Thanks
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2007, 02:39 PM
    I don't know how the process works, but you may want to file a police report. (Just in case you have to sue them for the money back.) Also speak with a tax attorney. They should know how to handle this situation, and they usually give legal advice for free. Another thing you may want to do is go to the UCLA, USC, Berkeley, etc website. Email your question to a legal professor, they may have some sound advice. Hope this helps.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Yes you most certainly need to file a police report, and forward a copy of this report also to the IRS.

And you can also sue them ( if you know they did it and can prove they did it) in civil court for your money back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can they take your taxes while in bankruptcy

IRS Garnishment? [ 1 Answers ]

What percent of your paycheck can the IRS garnish?

Forged signature on closing documents [ 3 Answers ]

My step daughter while in Iraq purchased a property in Calif. She is now out of the military and realizes she can not afford the payments. She purchased the property using the listing agent as her agent also. She used a Loan Broker for the loan. My wife, her mother, had power of Attorney and...

IRS garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently had my wages garnished from my second job. Can they do this, they took the WHOLE check. Also, is it to late to set up a payment plan. I have not called... I've been to scared to face the amount of money that I owe and have ignored all attempts. :confused:

Need help from the IRS [ 3 Answers ]

Time and Time again I called the IRS to correct an error on my tax return and the conversation ended with me speaking with the most undiscerning batch of extreme ignorance known to me doing my life time. The problem: The student loan interest deduction compared to the deduction allowed for...

View more questions Search