Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelley rivera Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 12:59 PM
    Just got fired for being sick!
    I was hired as store manager for a smartstyle salon. I spent the better part of 3 weeks cleaning store top to bottom! Dust bunnies on every shelf,black dust coming out all ceiling vents, mouse droppings from last summer! Back room products scattered everywhere. I organzied to make inventory easy etc. Now mind you I BARELY get sick! Lil colds once in awile, after about 3 weeks of working there I got a terrible flu! High fevers for 3 days!Never been so sick. Although I called my area supervisor almost daily, had the store covered w/employees I missed several days of work. I called my supervisor & left many messages on her home office phone, cell phone, & last resort text messaging her. I finally called her boss the regional director. I let her know I had a dr.note & when I would be able to return. She (my boss) called me stating she never got my messages & only found out I was sick from her boss. That is a out right lie & I have phone records to prove it! She stated that a dr. note does not excuse a absence & I was fired! I begged for my job & told her I would never fake being sick & I know she got all of my messages but was upset that I went above her head! She speaks to people very disrespectfully & should have saw a red flag when she called me to come in that day for my practicle interview & waited for her for over 30 min & she never showed or called or apologized! She's a bitter mean girl & I don't understand why this is happening! She has even belittled other stylist in front of customers! Made her cry! Saying that she did a terrible haircut! She has no class or ettiquite! She's always late & Im IN SHOCK I LOST MY JOB FOR BEING SICK! I CAN PROVE I WAS SICK & PROVE I CALLED HER SEVERAL TIMES! I have a iPhone that keeps track of calls & text messages... Is this legal?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 11, 2012, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shelley rivera View Post
    ... Is this legal??
    Yes.

With certain exceptions, none of which seem to apply (including the Family and Medical Leave Act), employment is 'at will". This means that your employer doesn't even need a reason to let you go.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2012, 02:45 PM
    Shelley, where is the salon located? For now I am with AK on this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Many large companies I have worked for, often fired anyone that missed any days during the first 90 day. Since this sounds like a large company, call and ask for a appointment with the HR manager, take in all of your evidence to prove your case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be fired for being out sick? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I be fired? I was sick on Monday for my day shift. Got a doctor's note. I felt better at nighttime. I am a drummer and felt fine later on that night to play a show. Can I get fired?

Fired for being sick [ 4 Answers ]

I have just been fired for being sick and want to know if it is legal without warning. She said it was for being sick, and then when I said I wasn't sure she could fire me for being sick she changed it to my record. Either way, can she fire me for being sick, or for my record, without any...

Being fired for being sick [ 1 Answers ]

I felt sick, very lightheaded, at work 2 weeks. When I called in sick the following day, I was told that I lied, that I was unprofessional(have even a letter from them) and that I am not allowed back at work! I also had a doctors notice but didn't help... this past Friday my headaches were severe...

Fired for being sick because [ 2 Answers ]

I am 21 years old and I work(ed) full time at an assembly plant. Early this week I became ill, notified my employer, visited doctor, who in turn told me to stay home for 3-5 days before returning to work. Dr filled out a note for my employer. My employer called me at home 2 days ago, and...

I am being fired for being sick [ 13 Answers ]

I have been at my job for nearly two years. I have suffered from stomach and bowel problems since 10/07. After missing a lot of work from this illness, ER visits, doctor visits, etc. I was finally diagnosed with intermittent bowel obstructions due to a large abdominal hernia. I went out on leave...

View more questions Search