Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Babji Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 01:58 AM
    Are there any taxes to be paid... either gift or other?
    I want to rollover my entire contributions in my IRA accounts in my wife's name
    She won't be withdrawing any money out of it and will keep it as an IRA but in her name. Do I or my wife pay any taxes or penalty for this transaction? We both are over 60 years of age.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2012, 03:44 AM
    Why do this? Why not just make her the beneficiary of the account?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if the IRAs are currently in your name only, then to transfer them, you would have to withdraw them and redeposit in her name. This would incur a tax on the distribution and potentially a gift tax.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 11, 2012, 05:53 AM
    This won't work as you had hoped. It would require withdrawing your account funds, which will trigger oridinary income tax being owed on the portion attributable to pre-tax contributions and earnings (I am asssumimng this is not a Roth IRA). But your wife cannot then put the money into her own IRA because the max contribution she can make is $6K/year (less if your combined earned income is less than that).

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? There may be better ways...

Regarding ScottGem's comment on gift taxes: transactions between married couples do not trigger any gift tax issues.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2012, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post

Regarding ScottGem's comment on gift taxes: transactions between married couples do not trigger any gift tax issues.
    Wasn't sure on that, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift tax on car paid [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim the gift tax paid by me on a car which I have won in a contest.plaease do reply

Employer paid taxes being paid by employee [ 7 Answers ]

I started with a new company as an employee I am a loan officer I wanted to be an independent contractor as I have always been that in the past but they said I could not do so They are now requiring me to pay the employer taxes (FICA 6.2%, Medicare 1.45%, Fed/state unemployment 1% and 4.35% for...

How to file taxes when paid by check but employer did not withhold taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a small business and they do not have me on the "books" - meaning they are not paying pay roll taxes or deducting taxes from my paycheck. They pay me every two weeks by check. I'm worried now I have been here for a year and it's time to file my taxes. I do not have a W2 form with them...

I paid taxes for 2007, now have amended refund, what about money I paid [ 1 Answers ]

I paid $4000 with taxes for 2007, now have amended refund of $5300. Should I received back money with an original return I paid?

Early Withdraw - 401K Taxes Paid vs. Taxes Owe [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I took a early withdraw from my 401k last year after leaving my job. I had 30% withheld for Fed. Taxes. I am getting ready to have my taxes prepared. I have several questions. 1. Was 30% enough? Does 10% penalty still apply? 2. I live in the state of IL. Will I owe state taxes? ...

View more questions Search