Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Apr 10, 2012, 07:03 PM
    Measuring stair stringers
    Hello. I have a stair stringer that split at the bottom stair on both stringers. Now I'm not too sure on how to measure for new stringers. The old stringer is being supported by two bricks at the bottom step. I guess when they built the stairs they miscalculated. The stairs lead into my basement from the front door entrance. I measured the height from the basement floor to the top of the front entrance floor. It is 49 1/2". I came up with 7" rise. I think I'm right? Can anyone tell me the right measurements for my rise and run? I'm using a 2x10 stringer and the treads measure 9" x 42 1/2" wide.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 10, 2012, 07:32 PM
    So you know the total rise. What's the total run and how many treads.
    Note that the minimum tread width is 9" plus 1" nosing. Meaning minimum tread width is 10".

I think you are going to need 2x12 stringers.
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Apr 10, 2012, 07:39 PM
    There are currently 5 treads right now. So go with 2x12 stringers, 7" risers, and 10" run?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Try this calculator and you will need at least 3 stringers due to your width.

Apr 10, 2012, 08:25 PM
    What is total run
    Attached Images

Apr 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stair Refacing [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 38 year old split level home and I have 5 wooden steps that are cracked and they creek when you step on them. I thought they would need to be replaced but a floor company told me about a system called "NuStair, stair refacing system". He said it fits right over your old stairs. Has...

Measuring Momentum or measuring Energy is more useful in ballistics. [ 7 Answers ]

I have been doing a bit of research to try to understand if measuring Momentum or measuring Energy is more useful in ballistics. I understand the calculations of each... but I am not fully sure what they mean to the target being hit. I am interested in understanding the meaning of the calculated...

Stair construction [ 1 Answers ]

Stair tread depth

Stair building [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of finishing the basement and only have the stairs left as far as framing. What do you think, rework the stringers that are here or tear them down and rebuild them? They will remain open and have a railing running along the landing and down the stairs. My main concern is how...

View more questions Search