Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    important Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 01:33 PM
    ITIN and bank account
    Is a person having ITIN eligible to have a bank account in his name. If yes, what type of bank account? Can he also get a credit card?
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2007, 01:54 PM
    ITINs are strictly for tax processing, not for identification. I'm sure that your passport or visa is enough to get a checking or savings account. If you need a credit card you may want to look into something like a pre-paid Visa or Master Card. They work like a credit card, but without a monthly bill. Some do have a nominal monthly fee of $3-$5, but you are only charged if you have a balance on the card. (It's similar to a finance charge on a credit card.)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Many banks and credit card companies take ITINs in lieu of the SSN.

That is not the intent of the ITIN, but the banks and credit card companies in question do not care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Bank Account [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is being audited by IRS. He needs to locate an old bank account that he had when married. Wife has moved out of state and he does not know how to locate her to find out name of bank in year2000. Is there a way to find out information maybe with your social security number.

Bank Account Judgement [ 10 Answers ]

Last week I discovered that my bank account was 0. I called my bank and they explained that I had a legal judgement against my account for debt collection. I have an appointment with an attorney later this week but cannot cash my paycheck at my bank as they will force deposit it into my account to...

Bank Account Frozen [ 3 Answers ]

A judgement was placed on me from a credit card company where I owed a little over $2,000. I had moved from where the original papers were sent and did not attend the court date. I have never received any new information regarding this action at my present address. However, after receiving money...

Frozen bank account [ 23 Answers ]

Hi, My question is, can my husbands bank account be frozen for a judgement against me. I have a pending judgement against my own credit card, which he was a user, but the account was in my name. I was told to get my own account since they will probably freeze our joint account that I used to pay on...

Frozen Bank Account [ 7 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen because of an outstanding credit card balance. I live paycheck to paycheck, I called the bank and they just said an order was put through and that there was nothing they could do. I called the number the bank gave me for the company that got the judgement. I...

View more questions Search