Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abrowning61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2012, 11:34 AM
    My domestic partner wants me to add her to the deed of my home.
    My domestic partner wants to make improvements to my home that I own. She wants me to add her to the deed before she does so. How will this affect me and my rights to my house should we split up?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
    Of course. If she's on the deed she's a part owner.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 10, 2012, 02:12 PM
    Who provided the down payment, and who's paying the mortgage? If you - then consider that as you build equity in the property ultimately you will have to split it with your partner. I suggest that if she wants to be on the deed as joint owner then she should first reimburse you for 1/2 the equity you currently have in the house (1/2 your down payment plus half the princial ypu've accumulated through mortgage payments to date). Then you can split future mortgage payments, taxes, insurance, maintenance, repairs, and capital improvement costs going forward.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2012, 05:42 AM
    - and in NY you will owe her for anything she pays for in the house that increases its value at the time of sale IF you split up.

Why not sign a loan agreement with her, use the money for the house. Have it written so that there are no payments unless/until you no longer live together. You stay together the repairs are made with the loan and you don't owe her anything. You split up, you owe her for the loan.

Attorneys in my area recommend these agreements when it's a "live in" situation.
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
    She will be part owner of the home, but won't be on the note, I wouldn't do that unless I was sure this partner is going to be there forever. Actually, I wouldn't do it at all. :)
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mmresd View Post
    She will be part owner of the home, but won't be on the note, I wouldn't do that unless I was sure this partner is going to be there forever. Actually, I wouldn't do it at all. :)

It's actually illegal to change the title IF there's a loan against the property - OP would have to look at the mortgage papers.
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It's actually illegal to change the title IF there's a loan against the property - OP would have to look at the mortgage papers.
    If it was, don't do it!! Judy's recommendation of signed agreement sounds MUCH better, and it serves the same purpose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add a name to a home deed [ 12 Answers ]

How do I add my daughters name to the deed on my home

How do I add another name to the deed on my home? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I add another name to the deed on my home?

Add name to home deed [ 2 Answers ]

Need to add name to home deed,there is no lean on home its free and clear.

Need to add my name to home deed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I got married last year, but our home (although it is only in his name) was purchased in Aug. 2004. How do we go about adding my name to the title and deed in GA? The house is financed in his name only and I would like to keep it that way. Will it be a problem to just add my name...

View more questions Search