Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Juanski Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 09:02 PM
    Get an education while in the Marines?
    Ive been wanting to join the Marines for the longest, but my worry is that I won't get a education (degree) while I'm serving? Has anyone gotten a degree whie serving in the Marines or know anyone who has? Any advice? Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2012, 03:56 AM
    You don't get a college degree while serving in any Armed Forces. However, After your enlistment is up or even while you are serving in certain areas, you can go to school and have the US foot the bill. A recruiter can explain this to you better than I can.

Some colleges may even give you credit for certain training received while on Active duty.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2012, 06:47 AM
    Not to disagree completely, but the services have college programs for members on most bases, and there are many online programs for active duty soldiers. But you can most certainly start your college program while in the Marines.

Also there are some really great ROTC programs that you may want to look into.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Not to disagree completely, but the services have college programs for members on most bases, and there are many online programs for active duty soldiers. But you can most certainly start your college program while in the Marines.

Also there are some really great ROTC programs that you may want to look into.
    What I meant was that you don't get a degree just for serving. You have to take college level classes on your own time. But certainly, the Armed Forces do encourage and help members with an education.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 10, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanski View Post
    Ive been wanting to join the Marines for the longest, but my worry is that i wont get a education (degree) while im serving? Has anyone gotten a degree whie serving in the Marines or know anyone who has? any advice? Thanks.
    Are you going to enlist or go into the reserves? That makes a big difference.

Apr 10, 2012, 09:46 PM
    I will be in active duty. Ive heard of people doing online classes and such while in active to get closer or finsih a degree. But I want to talk to anyone who has done it or know anyone who has.

Apr 10, 2012, 09:48 PM
    [QUOTE=ScottGem;3080174]What I meant was that you don't get a degree just for serving. You have to take college level classes on your own time. But certainly, the Armed Forces do encourage and help members with an education.[/Q

Ok, yeah I was like hold up?haha yeah I know my supervisor was in the Air Force he got close to finsihing his bachelors in 7 years. But the air force is totally different from the Marines.

Apr 10, 2012, 09:51 PM
    Thanks for all the good answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I too old for the Marines? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone: I always wanted to join the Marines. At 18 I wanted to enlist but I broke my leg and that was it. I am 25 now. Since that time most of my family wanted me to stay out of the military and I did. I had many jobs but I did't like any of them I always wanted something interesting and...

Marines? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 17 and a senior in high school. Right now I am nor my family no where close to being financially stable enough for me to go into college. My uncle had just got home from service and marines and is now going to college. I have thought about going into service since my freshman year, but never...

Life's education or Formal Education - Which is more valuable, and why? [ 7 Answers ]

I know both are equally valuable on their own, but what if a person had to choose one or the other? I'm curious about how others view individuals that have had to make this decision.

US Marines. [ 5 Answers ]

I am only 16 years old. Im not 100% sure what motivates me to want to become a Marine. But I want to become one. I don't own any guns or go hunting. My friends tell me I would be a runt since obviously I can't even aim a gun. I've been searching Marine facts and information. I know I'm...

Any Marines? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for anyone who has the experience of being a Marine to offer me friendly advice. I'm thinking about becoming a Marine, but I have a few simple questions. Does stealing happen often on bases, should I keep my good clothing at home? What's a typical day look like once you get stationed...

View more questions Search