Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Big Mac Troll Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2012, 07:21 PM
    Large winged ants
    Every spring we get large winged ants in the house. We can't find an entry point. They are in the basement and on both floors of the house. What can we use to get rid of them?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2012, 04:03 AM
    I would take some of these to your county extension office and make sure that they are not termites. I speak from experience!

WallyH
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Apr 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
    WALLY'S right. Termites look similar to ants in their winged states. To distinguish between them, check the wings or the waist. A termite will have four wings that are close to equal in size, and termites drop their wings readily. Winged ants will also have four wings but the front pair are longer than the back pair. Ants have a pinched waist, whereas termite are thick waisted. Termites can get larger than ants.

Ants and termites with wings are the reproductive stages that emerge, often in response to spring rains, from the colony to start new colonies in a new location.

Termites are more of a problem. You may have ants or termites living in, or under your house. The best solution is to get rid of the nest. Unfortunately, if may be difficult to find the nest and with termites, you might have to seek a professional (and expensive) solution.

Ant biology, ID & control
    Termite biology, ID & control

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ants, and plants, any ground cover ants don't like? [ 8 Answers ]

We have major problem with small sugar ants. Is there any kind of ground cover or other plants that ants don't like that we could plant. We spray every year. Does not seem to do any good. We end up with them in our house. Going crazy. Help please, any ?

Show where guy saves three princesses and wears invisibility cloak and winged boots [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm sorry for the long description but I have this episode mostly memorized. This show looks to be made in the 80s or early 90s. I think the format was a different fairy tale every episode and they were either 30 minutes or an hour long. A king wants to wed his daughters. All the suitors...

Looking for name of fiction book about ants written as if ants had personalities. [ 1 Answers ]

I read a book in a high school library between 1996 and 2001. It was a fictional book about ants. It was written in the ants perspective and I believe they were in central park in a tree stump. At the end of the book the reader finds out that the ants can communicate to humans above ground with...

White winged flying human biting insect [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me identify insect. We were thinking it was a bird mite, but looking at the pictures, the characteristics of my insect doesn't match totally with a bird mite. It is white in coloring, has pinchers, legs and almost transparent wings. It lands and bites, it also leaves a red spot on...

Large ants with wings [ 2 Answers ]

Once a year my home is infested with really large ants with wings. How do I get rid of them. Some are about an inch long.

View more questions Search