Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwsnite Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 03:56 PM
    May an employer contribute to an employee
    Looking at the simplest way to create retirement accounts for employees in a small business, setting up payroll deduction IRAs seems the easiest. But if an employer wants to contribute to an employee's IRA, for example as a form of bonus, are they allowed to do that?

Several publications on the Dept. of Labor website say that the contributions are by the employee, but they don't specifically rule out an employer putting some amount in the account as well.

1. This is in regards to a small business with less than 10 employees.
    2. I'm would to assume that wherever the money comes from, the total going into the account would have to meet the $5000 ($6000 if over 50) restriction.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 9, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Employer contribution Payroll Deduction IRA allowed?
    Looking at the simplest way to create retirement accounts for employees in a small business, setting up payroll deduction IRAs seems the easiest. But if an employer wants to contribute to an employee's IRA, for example as a form of bonus, are they allowed to do that?

Several publications on the Dept. of Labor website say that the contributions are by the employee, but they don't specifically rule out an employer putting some amount in the account as well.

1. This is in regards to a small business with less than 10 employees.
    2. I'm would to assume that wherever the money comes from, the total going into the account would have to meet the $5000 ($6000 if over 50) restriction.

Thanks in advance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Have you looked into Keogh plans?
    Keogh Plan Definition | Investopedia

Or SEPs?
    SEP Retirement Plans For Small Businesses

Apr 9, 2012, 07:57 PM
    I had forgotten about Keogh Plans. BTW, as near as I can tell, of the 2000+ publications available on the IRS site, not one has "Keogh" as part of its title.

I have to do more reading to see if you have pointed me to my answer or not. But thank you for the suggestions.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2012, 03:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pwsnite View Post
    BTW, as near as I can tell, of the 2000+ publications available on the IRS site, not one has "Keogh" as part of its title.
    I'm not surprised, Keogh is the popular name they are also known as an HR(10) plans. Try looking for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an employer divulge personal employee information to a non employee? [ 14 Answers ]

I was hurt at work and have been off for 6 weeks due to my injury. My question is, can my employer tell a friend of his that I have been off work and hurt, and missing a lot of work?

What can an employer say about an employee [ 8 Answers ]

I had a relationship of dating a co-worker from work and because I didn't disclose it , I was let go. I thought it was none of their business what happens outside of work. I guess not. I am wondering if they can say that I was terminated or what can be said?

What happens when an employee does not notify the employer of a divorce? [ 3 Answers ]

The employee did not notify HR until a year after the divorce. Is the spouse still eligible for Cobra even though the employee did not notify the employer in a timely manner?

Employer didn't contribute FICA taxes [ 7 Answers ]

I work at a state college. When I was a student employee the college was not obligated to pay any FICA taxes. After I graduated I started working at the college as a full-time employee. Two years later the college admitted that there was a bug in their payroll system and that they had not been...

View more questions Search