Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lekha815 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 11:39 AM
    OPT to H1B Tax filing-SS tax refund?
    Hi,
    I am an Indian citizen. Arrived in US in Aug 2003, on OPT from Jan 2006 and on H1B from October 1st 2006. I started working in Feb 2006 in California. Throughout the year in 2006 Social security , medicare and disability taxes were deducted from my paycheck. Will I get a refund for these taxes for the time I was on OPT? If so, how should I proceed? Social security tax $3229 and Medicare $755. What percentage of these taxes should I request for a refund?

Since my H1B stared on October 1st should I be filing taxes as non resident alien using for 1040NR? In that case can I claim for standard deduction of $5000 as well as personal exemption of $3,300?

I got a new car , can I deduct the sales tax for it?

Thanks in Advance,
    Lekha.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 11:33 AM
    You need to file Form 843 to request a refund of the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld while on OPT. The withholding when you converted to H-1B was correct.

If you are single, file as a non-resident alien for 2006. In 2007, you will file as a resident alien. If you are married, you have the option of filing jointly with your spouse and choosing to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2006. That makes ALL of your world-wide income subject to U.S. income taxes, however. Given your circumstances, though, filing jointly would probably be beneficial.

You CAN claim the sales tax if you file jointly, but it is likely NOT greater than the $10,300 standard deduction.

If you file as a non-resident alien, you cannot claim it.

If you file dual-status, you CAN claim it on the Form 1040 portion of the dual-status return IF you bought the car when you were H-1B. Probably not worth it to file dual-status over the simpler, more-immediate filing of a non-resident tax return.
    Lekha815 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 11:56 AM
    I paid the H1B attorney fees... can I claim that as a part of legal expenses?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 12:02 AM
    Yes, but only as employee business expenses, which are itemized deductions.
    dangdang Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Since he can get the social security and medicare tax back, why do you think that "Given your circumstances, though, filing jointly would probably be beneficial."? Can you explain it clearly? I am in the same situation too.
    dangdang Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 11:33 AM
    You need to file Form 843 to request a refund of the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld while on OPT. The withholding when you converted to H-1B was correct.

If you are single, file as a non-resident alien for 2006. In 2007, you will file as a resident alien. If you are married, you have the option of filing jointly with your spouse and choosing to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2006. That makes ALL of your world-wide income subject to U.S. income taxes, however. Given your circumstances, though, filing jointly would probably be beneficial.

You CAN claim the sales tax if you file jointly, but it is likely NOT greater than the $10,300 standard deduction.

If you file dual-status, you CAN claim it on the Form 1040 portion of the dual-status return IF you bought the car when you were H-1B. Probably not worth it to file dual-status over the simpler, more-immediate filing of a non-resident tax return.[/QUOTE]

AtlantaTaxExpert,
    I am not quite clear when you say that "Given your circumstances, though, filing jointly would probably be beneficial." Since he can get the social security and medicare tax back by separately filing, why file jointly? I am in the same situation, could you please explain it for me? Thank you
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Filing jointly gives you a tax deduction of $16,900 in aggregate, and makes the taxpayer eligible for a number of credits like the Education Credit and the Child Tax Credit. Many people end up getting ALL of their withheld taxes back.

It is possible that the refund of the Social Security and Medicare taxes would be greater, but requesting that refund using Form 843 is NOT a guarantee that you will get the money. The IRS evaluates each request on its own merits, and sometimes they say NO!

The option to file jointly is vritually guaranteed to be accepted. So, if filing jointly produces a refund that is equal to the request for refund of FICA taxes, filing jointly is the way to go.
    feiyuetpy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Does he have to extend to June 2007 to file as residant alien?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert

If you file dual-status, you CAN claim it on the Form 1040 portion of the dual-status return IF you bought the car when you were H-1B. Probably not worth it to file dual-status over the simpler, more-immediate filing of a non-resident tax return.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2008, 03:32 AM
    For getting back FICA taxes withheld during OPT, you must file Form 843.

Read about filing Form 843: Your U.S. Tax Return: Social Security and Medicare (FICA) Taxes for Non-resident Exempt Individual
    tax2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 10:42 AM

Hi,
    I was working on OPT from August 2008 until March 31, 2009 (which is considered non-resident tax), I believe, so whatever taxes I paid, I get it back. (I paid only federal and state tax)

From April 1, 2009, I started working on H-1 Visa, is this considered as resident tax? (I paid federal, state, medicare, social security taxes)

Should I file two different tax forms to get my full taxes back that I paid when I was on OPT? I am single and I came to USA in December 2006.

I received only one W-2 form. How do I do this? What forms do I need to fill out?

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 03:19 PM
    You are operating under a misconception.

You ARE liable for state and federal income taxes while on OPT. IRS rules require you over-withhold on your salary, so you likely WILL get a refund, but it will NOT be a total refund. You ARE paying some federal and state income taxes.

You have met the Substantial Presence Test, but did not spend EVERY day in 2009 on H-1B status, so you must file a dual-status return.

The dual-status return is NOT for amateurs! Get professional tax help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing tax return (Changed status from F1-OPT to H1B) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was a F1 student from Jan 2001 to Dec 2005. I am an Indian citizen and single I did my OPT in Texas Tech Univ. from Dec 18 2005 to Dec 17 2006. I got my H1B on Dec 18 2006 from TTU. I have Fedral income tax, social security tax and medicare tax charged during 2006. Which of the forms...

F1 to h1b Asking for Medicare and SS tax refund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I hope someone can answer my questions Been in the US for 2 and a half years mostly as a student. I got my I-797 notice of approval with valid dates starting November 14, 2006 If I understand correctly I should file 1040NR because I don't meet the requirements of the substantial...

New York city tax refund for H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in New York city for 2 and half years and am currently holding an H1B visa. I filed my last 2 tax returns as a non resident for New York, and was able to get a full refund of my New York city tax. My question is I'm not sure if I can still file as non resident and get...

Questions regarding tax filing for 2005- OPT to H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert: I have some questions to clarify. Will that be possible to send private email. If so please provide me with the address. Thanks in advance Suk

F1 to H1B tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a little confused about what forms and how many versions of them I must fill out this year. I was an F1 (Canadian) student (on OPT) until 4/1/05. After that date, I became and H1B non-immigrant worker. My employer has broken my income into two separate W-2s. The first, from when I...

View more questions Search