Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snclark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 03:29 PM
    Computer problems
    My computer is running slower than normal when powering on as well as when I'm searching the internet. I'm also getting popups even though I keep saying no as they popup. Could this potentially be a virus? Either way, how do I get rid of this problem because this is a new computer? Thanks.

Shalanda Clark
    neronplat Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2012, 07:06 PM
    Get a good antivirus software, one you pay for. Everyone needs one nowadays I woud recommend Norton Internet Security, or if that's too pricey then AVG, use Avast until you get a chance to buy one.
    joecoolvette Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
    Suggest you download the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Info: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Free version download site:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Download.com

Click on the - Download Now - in the green rectangle.
    (Has CNET Secure Download, under it )

Download, then Install.
    Run Malwarebytes.

You may see pop-up after pop-up come up. So many in fact, that you may not see the entire Malwarebytes screen.

Do NOT click on them. You will accomplish 0, and just slow Malwarebytes down.

(Some are fake Microsoft 'shields', some are real. Clicking on the real one's does nothing also )

After Malwarebytes has run once, I suggest you turn System Restore OFF.
    System Restore also restores the 'bad' stuff, as well as the good stuff.

Once you have run Malwarebytes one more time, then turn System Restore back ON, and create a Restore Point.

[ System Restore:
    Windows XP, (Home or Pro )

Click on Start, hover your mouse cursor over All Programs.
    Up to Accessories, over and down to System Tools, over and down to System Restore.
    Click on System Restore.

System Restore Vista and Win 7;

How to do a System restore in Windows Vista and Windows 7

WHEN LOOKING AT THE SYSTEM RESTORE window;

Observe two things;
    1) Create a restore point - on the right hand side,
    2) System Restore Settings - subheading on the left side, towards the middle.

A) Click on the System Restore Settings subheading.

B) In the System Properties window that comes up, click on the empty small box to the left of -
    Turn off System restore on all drives

Puts a green checkmark in the box.
    Go to the bottom Right, and click on - Apply
    Now go to the bottom Left, and click on - OK

Run Malwarebytes.
    Once finished close all windows go back to your desktop screen.
    Go to System Restore, and turn System Restore back on.

Click in the small square, and it will remove the green checkmark.
    Then click on Apply, and finally on OK.

C) In the System Restore window now go to - Create a restore point.
    Follow the simple instructions. (Give a name you will remember for the restore point)

Be aware that as time goes by Windows updates the restore point date.
    When far enough there won't be a restore point date anymore.

I suggest every month or so, see if the restore point you created now, is still there.
    If not create another one.

I also suggest using the free registry editor CCleaner.
    Helps speed your computer up by getting rid of fragmented files.
    (No, in this area Defragment will not help. But suggest you also defragment your hard drive on a basis as needed ]

For additional questions regarding the above, please post in a Comment.

Regards,
    joecoolvette

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer problems [ 2 Answers ]

Ok so I have a compact laptop computer for about a year and the mouse does not work and the computer freezes up like every 3 minutes then I have to shut it down and put it back on but it still freezes and I tried taking out the battery but thst did not do anything.Also I really want to use the...

Computer problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have avg antivirus on my computer but my computer can't see it wuy I have tride to dounlode a new antivirus but it still says I do not have any anti virus programs on my computer.

Problems in my computer [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,my problem is that when I open my computer it takes a long time to open,it's so slowly,and sometime it stops working that I have to restart it.I've up dated my antivirus and scand my PC and there was nothing.so why does this happen to me and how can I fix it.be4 I forget ,my C disk is almost...

Computer problems! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello My computer keeps freezing from time to time and vertical lines appear on the screen and it shakes. I have absolutely no idea why this happens and how to fix it. I've read on various sites about re-installing drivers. Does this really help? And how do you go about actually doing that? Can...

Computer problems [ 4 Answers ]

I've been trying to get my computer back up for about a week. About a week and a half ago my computer was getting slow so I reformated, which I've done before whenever it gets bad. After I reformated, my computer would flash a black screen whenever I exited a program that would take over the screen...

View more questions Search