Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephanie35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 09:35 AM
    Should I violate HIPAA
    I work at Women's Health Office and My best friend's 15 year old daughter came in and got a abortion, she didn't need her parents consent. Under HIPAA privacy rule, I cna't tell her mother. I want her mother to know. What should I do? Do I confront the daughter? I know keeping this to myself is breaking the law, what should I do without breaking the HIPAA Rule?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2012, 10:31 AM
    You could be terminated and/or sued for violating HIPAA.

I'm not a HIPAA expert, but you should look at it closely before even considering talking to the patient about it.

Consider another line of work if you have a problem with working for an employer who gives abortions to 15 year old girls without their parent's consent.

... just my humble opinion. I feel for you, Stephanie. It's a tough situation to be in.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie35 View Post
    ... I know keeping this to myself is breaking the law ...
    I think you mean "... not keeping this to myself... ".

I cannot ethically advise you to break the law, unless there is a "higher law" which would supercede HIPAA. I don't see that there is.

Ask yourself what good you might accomplish by telling the mother. I have strong pro-life feelings myself, but it seems to me that what's done is done. My advice is to leave this up to God and the daughter.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2012, 11:52 AM
    You do nothing. This girl has a right to privacy. For you to do ANYTHING would be to risk your job, as well as violating her rights.

I understand its hard. The only thing I can suggest is that the person who dealt with the girl should counsel the girl on contraception and the dangers of teenage pregnancy. It would seem that would be within the purview of the clinic, though it may be too late to get her back in.
    fmbush Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie35 View Post
    I work at Women's Health Office and My best friend's 15 year old daughter came in and got a abortion, she didn't need her parents consent. under HIPAA privacy rule, I cna't tell her mother. I want her mother to know. What should I do? Do I confront the daughter? I know keeping this to myself is breaking the law, what should I do without breaking the HIPAA Rule?
    Steph,

I work for BCBS. I run across all kinds of things like this about my friends and their children. One time I found out my best friend had stage 3 colon/liver cancer. It tore me up emotionally at work and I had to go to my boss and tell her that I couldn't handle that file and if she could assign it to someone else.
    I know that is a little different than your situation, but I can tell you this. I have worked for BCBS and seen a lot of things. One thing I would warn against is spilling the beans:

1- In your case, there is no undoing what has already been done.
    2- Your employer could fire you and law suits could be brought up against you
    3- If you tell your best friend... you could be seen as trying to stir up things in the family or any other thing. You would be the bearer of horrible news and that isn't something I would want to be though of.
    4- I am sure that sometime down the road the daughter will slip or just come outright and tell what she did. Its kind of like Karma. It has a way to come around and show what has been done sometimes.

I think the best thing to do would be to pray for the girl and the embryo. This girl should go through therapy or at least a sex education class and be put on birth control. I would consider the 3 month shot, that way she doesn't forget to take the pill every day.

Finally.. . If you still feel compelled to say something, I would just mention to the girl that you ran across her file the other day and wondered how she was doing. Don't say nothing to the parents... maybe if she knows that you know... she might fess up to it to her parents. Maybe she might even turn to you for advice or guidance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I violate Hipaa? [ 11 Answers ]

I worked for two agencies caring for people with developmental disabilities. One of our clients that was cared for at job #1 left our agency and was being cared for by a different provider who I also worked for. He had an incident where he fell and he also choked on some food and staff did the...

Can you violate? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got sentenced to 5yrs probation for my 3rd DWI... But Im only a yr and a half away if getting off. I recently got a letter stating that I have a warrant For my arrest. Can I violate with this warrant from 3yrs ago?

Does looking up a co-workers family's obituary violate hipaa? [ 3 Answers ]

I had to leave the state last week for a funeral. One of my co-workers looked online to Find the obituary to see if he actually died and when. She took this to my superviser to Discuss. Since we work in a medical office and she did this at work and on the employers Computer, does it violate...

Did I violate this patients HIPAA rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I am the Supervisor of a POL. One of the employees of the X-Ray department asked me for a copy of her Mother's lab results. I refused, citing HIPAA regulations. The employee became very disruptive but I still refused to comply with her request. Because our facility has no clear protocol for...

Did I violate HIPAA Law? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a medical student and was in my last week of school when I had to finish this project. I was suppose to see how this patient was doing. He was still a patient at the hospital but out patient, and instead of going to his house I looked up what operation he had and how his physical theropy...

View more questions Search