Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaserracer83 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 08:14 PM
    How to make a sheet glass window?
    I am trying to create a sheet glass window and want to make sure I am going about it the right way.

On the exterior exterior side of the window, I am using a T-shaped piece of steel. The T will be flipped upside down. The side of the T facing outside will be screwed into the base of the wall. The interior side of the T-shpared steel will accept the glass. With the glass in place, another piece of steel, this time in an L-shape, will butt up against the inside of the glass.This piece will also screw to the base of the wall to hold the glass in place. This will be done on all for sides of the glass. I am planning on using 1/4" laminated glass. The sheet of glass will be 6 feet wide by 7.5 feet tall. The wall the window will be built into is made of 8X2's and very solid. I am not sure what else I need to do. Does the glass need any cushion at the bottom since it will be resting directly on metal? Should anything go between the glass and the sides of the metal to keep water out? Does this sound like a correct method for creating a sheet glass window?

Thank you,
    Chase

Check out some similar questions!

Removing a plate glass window [ 2 Answers ]

I have a plate glass window 27" x 48" that I need to remove in order to repair the frame. How should I go about removing it to minimize the chance of me breaking it? I had to replace the other side last year after my daughter broke it, so I already know they aren't cheap.

Glass block window [ 4 Answers ]

During Hurricane Irene, we had water permeate the mortar in our glass block bathroom window. What do we do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

I have a glass block window & I want to remove it. How is it possible [ 1 Answers ]

It is in my kitchen, 35 blocks in total. It blocks the kitchen to the lounge room.

Window glass for fixed glass opening [ 3 Answers ]

Added openings to wall in studio apt. Material is wood frame stucco, with wood jambs, interior is pigmented plaster. This has an adobe look and plaster will terminate at glass with no visible moldings. Opening size is approx. 12" x 40", will bed glass in resilient glazing. What would be the choice...

DIY Glass Blocks Window [ 1 Answers ]

I'd like to replace my (really old, really energy inefficient) bathroom window. It faces the back yard and I'd like to use glass blocks instead of a traditional window. I thought it seemed relatively simple and straightforward to do this, not to mention relatively inexpensive. But when I went to...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.