Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1STHANK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 09:18 AM
    19 HP Craftsman does nothing when key turned
    Hi I have a craftsman 19.5 briggs vertical. I cannot get the engine to turn over I have a new battery, checked inline fuse, replaced oil, made sure seat contacts era clean, found no broken wires. I turn the key and nothing happens, of course I go through all the staring steps with clutch brake neutral and so on. What do you think I'm over looking
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2012, 12:49 PM
    Couild easily be a failed safety switch, start with checking the switch under the seat.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Apr 8, 2012, 06:27 PM
    Hi,
    Most common points of failure of this type are the soleniod and key switch. If you have access to a VOM and the knowledge to use it, check for voltage getting to the switch, leaving the switch in the start position and its arrival at the solinoid.
    Note: It is kind of important to be given the model number as some Craftsman machines have ground that runs though some of the safety switches rather than have battery voltage go through them. Sometimes the existence of a fourth terminal(second small terminal) with a black wire will indicate this.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civic quit like you turned off the key [ 4 Answers ]

90 civic dx flashing code 20. Cranks but won't start. It quit like you turned off the key. Nice car, it quit three blocks from home. Best guesses anyone?

When key is turned on, I just hear a click. How do I test the solenoid? [ 1 Answers ]

My Huskee 20 HP, 50 inch cut, riding mower won't start. I tried 3 different batteries, the last one is brand new. All with the same result. I just hear a click when the key is turned on. A friend said that it could be the solenoid. How do I test it? Thank you in advance.

1985 fxrs will not start, clicking sound occurs when key is turned [ 1 Answers ]

I was able to push start and as I drove home I noticed the tac' was not working. When I was trying to start it the oil/neutral light wasen't working either. When I got home I shut down and was able to restart several times and all seemed normal.

My snowblower does not turn off when the key is turned to off I have checked the wire [ 1 Answers ]

When using my snow blower sometimes it will not turn off

7.3 diesel IDM fuse blows as soon as key is turned to on position [ 1 Answers ]

I have checked all harnesses from valve covers to ecm I was told IDM controler was on fire wall under dash under seat on floor plan? Thanks M

View more questions Search