Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolyourjets Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 10:22 AM
    To sweat or not to sweat.
    Spring... time for battle over the thermostat setting. Wife wants the AC set at 77 degrees and I want it set at 73 degrees. She argues that my setting would increase our electric bill substantially. Of course, I don't think it would make a lot of difference. Is there a basic "rule of thumb" to come to some type of conclusion on this disagreement?
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Apr 8, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Happy Easter everyone!!

That is so funny, the only thing I would say - and my wife and I have the same 'discussion' is this.

Do whatever she says. It will make your life easier.

Phx in summer 78 in my house. Wife wants 77 and we just had a baby last year so of course I just nod my head. Bills up maybe 3-4% just on that one degree.

Apr 8, 2012, 03:24 PM
    A brilliant solution... do what your wife says. I've been doing that for years, and years, and years... However, it doesn't really answer the question except for the 3-4 deg. Part. That would be 12-16%... really?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Yes, We keep it about 75 to 76 in the house, used to do the 73 or 74, we saved at least 8 percent. If we are going to be out of the house for a few hours, it goes up to about 78. But raising the temp just a few degrees warmer and turning it warmer when out, has saved us so much it was unbelievable.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2012, 04:29 AM
    3-4 degrees will make a big difference in your power bill. Sweat a bit or get her
    A sweater.

Apr 9, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Thanks for your thoughts on this little matter.
    LHG
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2012, 03:41 PM
    If you want to spend your money on the electric bill.go with your gut, if you want to save money and enjoy it somewhere else, go with the little wife`s gut,, its hard to admit she`s right and you are wrong,, but sometimes we all have to do it
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 04:04 PM
    This really all comes down to how well your house is sealed and insulated. If your home is extremely well sealed and insulated, it is just as easy to keep it at 72 as it is at 78, as long as you keep the temp set at your comfort level and don't turn it up and down. If you let it get 80 or 85 in the home during the day, then turn it down, it will of course cost you more to get it down to 72 vs 78. But, if you just keep it at 72 it will cost about the same as keeping it at 78 (remember, this only applies to extremely well sealed and insulated homes). If your home isn't greatly insulated, it will cost quite a bit more to keep it cooled to 72 vs 78 when it is really hot outside. I have a well insulated home, and it cost roughly the same to cool it anywhere in the 70's.

Apr 10, 2012, 06:18 AM
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To sweat or not to sweat in ultra sensitive area [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks again again guys, but, most respectfully, you are not giving the required consideration due to this peculiar work area. Normally, (as I've done a 100 times before)I would get out my trusty acetylene torch and fabricate copper all the way, but,(sorry to repeat again) I'm working in a very...

Sweat issue [ 6 Answers ]

I have a constant problem with sweating. Im currently 20 and it has only occurred for the last 2 or so years. It happens to such an extent that I can have sweat patches on the under arms of my t shirt whilst sitting down watching TV! My main issue is the embaressment but how can I stop this. Im...

Sweat on 1 side [ 3 Answers ]

Why do I sweat under 1 arm and not the other.

Sweat odor [ 1 Answers ]

OMG! My best friend still hasn't found the remedy.. oh please help me... she still sweats.. she now uses crystals with 2 drops of lemon in order not to stink.. bt still the sweating is der and its getting worse.. oh, please help me, she's so confuse in what 2 do... :confused:

Sweat in hair [ 3 Answers ]

My child plays really hard and when I wash his hair it still smells sweaty. How can I get the sweat smell out of his hair?

View more questions Search