Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Apr 6, 2012, 04:12 AM
    Moral issue - Was I correct here?
    View the image on Flickr.

I started a Facebook argument today, regarding moral issue of prostitution. Which, if you see the image, I'm STRONGLY against. (... It's illegal, too.)

Have a look at the image and tell me if you think I made sense.

You may need to save the picture, or zoom in.

Stupid girl. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Towards the end, I realised I was NEVER going to get through, so I did try to make it more personal. I'm the type that likes to 1up. One of my weaknesses.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Why don't you try posting in member discussions about the subject. From what I saw neither side had any high ground. It didn't look very productive.

Apr 6, 2012, 11:21 AM
    What I'm really looking for here is someone to tell me I'm right. I had a couple people telling me I "Owned" her.

I'd hate to think that it's a common belief that prostitution is acceptable.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2012, 11:44 AM
    In the United States there are places where it is actually legal. I believe holland has places like that also.

Ref:

Legal Prostitution in Nevada - Brothels are Legal in Some Nevada Counties

Apr 6, 2012, 11:48 AM
    I'm not sure where she was from, but it being legal doesn't make it any more right. I don't believe a 16 year old having sex is right. I don't believe smoking drugs is right.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2012, 11:51 AM
    I don't either. But those aren't my choices. In most coutries there are laws in place for a reason. But with every situation there are usually 2 sides. I try to look at both and evaluate what is really going on. But as a moral issue Im not for it but as a legal issue its not for me to argue about it because its within the law.

Apr 6, 2012, 12:05 PM
    It's the way she was complaining about how I can't judge the woman on the show because I "haven't been in her shoes". When I believe I can. I don't need to murder someone to know that murder is wrong
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2012, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniCalifornia View Post
    It's the way she was complaining about how I can't judge the woman on the show because I "haven't been in her shoes". When I believe I can. I don't need to murder someone to know that murder is wrong
    It is your right to have opinions and to express them so long as it doesn't involve hurting someone. Im not talking about feelings here I mean actual violence against another. It's the internet. Don't take it so seriously. There are many views out there of both like mind and conflicting attitudes. Being on Facebook opens you up to all kinds. Just relax and take solstice in knowing you have an opinion to express and are willing to defend it. Its not always about winning. Its more about standing your ground while being able to listen to an argument.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 6, 2012, 12:15 PM
    'Moral issue' and 'am I correct' don't belong together.
    Morality has been, is, and always will be arguable.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2012, 12:21 PM
    The issue that having sex in exchange for something of value can be looked at in many ways, a street hooker merely gets actual money, but how many women use sex for position, for a place to live or food to eat.

And whose "right" is it to try to place their legal or moral belief on the actual of others. So if you have no moral belief that sex is anything except a fun act, then who has the right to control it. Two teens ( of legal age) can have sex in the back of his car, She can have sex with the right man to get the right job or to end up marry him for a good life style and that is not only practiced every day, but almost accepted way of life.

If two people over the legal age of consent, wish to agree to have sex, and one wants to trade something of value, for something they want, what is the issue with it.

And you bring up murder ( sort of change of subject) but to what end, killing to protect your home, protect another person. Murder in time of war, or murder when a government agent and ordered to murder someone who is considered a threat to the US. Or murder as in kill someone on death row? What about abortion, to many one of the worst murders of all.

Apr 6, 2012, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Just relax and take solstice in knowing you have an opinion to express and are willing to defend it. Its not always about winning. Its more about standing your ground while being able to listen to an argument.
    I do struggle to relax once things have turned personal. It was light-hearted at first, I expected her to respond after my "I wouldn't BUY the shoes" comment with conveyance that it was rather funny. I was comfortable with the disagreement right up to the point where she uttered "Don't be ignorant". After that I felt I needed to defend myself and explain why I believe what I do.

It was like talking to a brick wall. I wanted to explain that some things are plain wrong. I'd love to BE Jeremy Kyle, so I could help and teach people how to live better.

I wasn't entirely sure whether it WAS a moral issue. I firmly believe there is only one answer in this issue. She cheated. She got paid for being used and abused. And says she is addicted. It's a completely different argument to a real moral debate like abortion

Edit - Yes Chuck. Murder is never acceptable. In your death row example, I'd rather the ****'s were alive and suffering in prison than put out of their misery. The issue there was that she lied and cheated.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Apr 6, 2012, 03:25 PM
    I do struggle to relax once things have turned personal. It was light-hearted at first, I expected her to respond after my "I wouldn't BUY the shoes" comment with conveyance that it was rather funny. I was comfortable with the disagreement right up to the point where she uttered "Don't be ignorant". After that I felt I needed to defend myself and explain why I believe what I do.

It was like talking to a brick wall. I wanted to explain that some things are plain wrong. I'd love to BE Jeremy Kyle, so I could help and teach people how to live better.

I wasn't entirely sure whether it WAS a moral issue. I firmly believe there is only one answer in this issue. She cheated. She got paid for being used and abused. And says she is addicted. It's a completely different argument to a real moral debate like abortion

Edit - Yes Chuck. Murder is never acceptable. In your death row example, I'd rather the ****'s were alive and suffering in prison than put out of their misery. The issue there was that she lied and cheated.
    Hi Danny,

I couldn't read the discussion but here you seem to be discussing values. Values are personal rules we tend to employ when we make a decision. Things we should or shouldn't do. As we have a personal attachment to values we tend to believe that other people should share our values.

I think from you point of view you are wanting to talk about morality. More specifically I think you are wanting to talk about rule based ethics. Sometimes morality and ethics can be talked about almost interchangeably. Other times not.

However, it may be useful in these type of discussions to distinguish values, ethics and morality. For example, if you accuse someone in the sex industry as being unethical you may well be accusing them of being unprofessional. Obviously this is not the point you are trying to get across. When participating in such a discussion it is always useful to say you are going to distinguish your terms.

Tut

Apr 7, 2012, 03:37 AM
    It's Dani - I'm female.

I understand what a value is. This isn't a value. My values are my family, friends, boyfriend, patience and honesty.

It's probably best that you try to see the image so you know what it's about. The argument was a black woman who was arguing about a prostitute on the Jeremy Kyle USA show. This person has a lot of "Black power" quotes on her profile. I couldn't help but think that she was racially influenced.

To be honest, I have no interest in getting along with someone that believes it's okay. Adultery is on the level of murder to me. It ruins peoples lives.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 7, 2012, 04:48 AM
    You want moral issues to be correct, you wonder why you don't get through to people, you want to 'teach people how to live better.' You seem to me to be like many an intelligent 20 year old who hasn't yet seen the many ways the lines blur between right and wrong, and good and evil, and who is unclear that there is a vast gulf between who wants to be 'helped' and who doesn't.
    I didn't try to read the page past it's tiny unreadable state, so am just going by what you have said here. I'm even wondering why you would bring a discussion from one site to another when it isn't even about matters of fact.

Apr 7, 2012, 04:56 AM
    There was no way to increase the size. I assumed people knew how to zoom in on a web page. (Hold CTRL and scroll with the mouse)

You know what, don't comment on the thread if you have nothing of value to say. I don't appreciate what you've said. Califdadof has had the best comment so far, a simple "Don't worry about what others think" was all I needed.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 10:31 AM
    There was no way to increase the size. I assumed people knew how to zoom in on a web page. (Hold CTRL and scroll with the mouse)

You know what, don't comment on the thread if you have nothing of value to say. I don't appreciate what you've said. Califdadof has had the best comment so far, a simple "Don't worry about what others think" was all I needed.
    Dani, I tried to 'zoom in' and it increased the size of the text but not the 'picture' of your discussion. It may be a browser or settings issue, I don't know. However, that was my experience.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2012, 10:41 AM
    Hello Dani:

I couldn't read it either... But, just so's you know. I believe prostitution should be as legal as cell phones... Plus, I smoke dope and it should be legal for everybody.

I think that, AND I'm a moral person..

excon

Apr 9, 2012, 02:03 PM
    Okay. Well I requested this thread to be deleted as there's actually no point any more. I think I just posted it a bit too soon, when I was annoyed at her.

Joypulv - Sorry for snapping at you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Dani, threads don't get deleted unless they violate the TOS of the site.

Apr 9, 2012, 04:29 PM
    I've seen ones get deleted if they have no purpose. Particularly now the image has been deleted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Morals require God. A moral law requires a moral law giver? Agree or Disagree? [ 59 Answers ]

Interesting idea. I know I am going to cop it from a number of people but that's all right. I am interested to hear people's thoughts. To elaborate a bit... without going into post modernism too much, if you do not believe in a God then how can there be any truth. What is to say that mass murder(as...

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

Why is it such a moral dilemna? [ 4 Answers ]

Here is the dilema.. that I am sure a lot of Christians have. I am a single, attractive, young 55 year old lady... I am very sexual... I have not found a Chnrisitan man to marry... dating sites, though other people, etc. I also live in a not populus region of the midwest... men whom are married,...

Moral Support [ 1 Answers ]

So I need to loose weight. I've been married three year and I've gained 35lbs. I'm at 150 and used to be 115. I've tried but it's so hard since I'm Mexican and I cook with lotz of fat. Okay so at my job I entered this "Holiday Weight Challenge". Starts Monday 19th ends Jan 4th. I know it's the...

View more questions Search