Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roddilla Posts: 145, Reputation: 3

Apr 6, 2012, 01:42 AM
    Organic Chemistry
    What are two possible structure for the carbonium ion C6H11 +?
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Apr 6, 2012, 07:26 AM
    There are SO MANY (dozens of) possibilities. Is there more to your question?
    C6H12 (the conjugate acid of your carbocation) must have a double bond or be a cyclic molecule. Draw a candidate, lose one H atom and you have it!

Apr 6, 2012, 07:54 AM
    He says 2:

I gave cyclohexane with 1 H less and 1 C +vely charged,

The other one I don't know!

Apr 6, 2012, 10:54 AM
    OK, now do the same thing to methylcyclopentane. Now you can eliminate any one of 5 different H atoms and make a differnet C+ ion.

Apr 6, 2012, 10:17 PM
    The question was this: the mechanism of the conversion of cyclohexene into cyclohexane involves the formation of a carbonium ion C6h11+. Draw the structural formulae of two conformations of this carbonium ion and show the mechanism for the conversion of the carbonium ion into the final product.

Apr 7, 2012, 07:53 AM
    I'm not sure what the "two conformatons of the carbonium ion" would be. The carbocation is planar. A base (the conjugate base of your catalytic acid for instance) will remove a proton from one of the adjacent carbon atoms to yield the alkene.
    Cycloalkane conformations are more commonly encountered in E2 eliminations where the leaving groups must be antiperiplanar to one another.

Apr 8, 2012, 06:03 AM
    WHile thanking you for trying to answer the above question and upon seeing that you are good in chemistry could you solve this:
    at room temperature dinitrogen tetroxide is in equilibrium with nitrogen dioxide. Deduce an expression relating Kp for decomposition reaction with "a" the degree of dissociation and "P" the total pressure.

I have tried it out using 100 as an initial number of moles of dinitrogen tetroxide. I got this answer:
    [(2aP)^2]/(1-a^2) = Kp

Forget the other answer. COuld you check please?

Apr 8, 2012, 06:20 AM
    I'm an Organic chemist, and one of it's benefits is that I don't have to work with Phys Chem problems. Post this one as a new question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemistry question about Organic Chemistry [ 9 Answers ]

Could you explain to me why I ended up with two marks out of a possible 6 in these questions? I think that I answered them correctly but I am not sure so I would like your help so that then I may tell my instructor.

Organic chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

A purified sample of napthalene is grey and has the same melting range as a white purified sample. What causes the grey colour.

Organic Chemistry [ 3 Answers ]

Could anybody help me to choose interesting topic to do my presentation in organic chemistry ? :rolleyes:

Organic Chemistry [ 2 Answers ]

What is the word :homologues series means . Simply explain how ethene can be prepared from ethanol.

Organic chemistry [ 2 Answers ]

How can 2-ethylcyclohexane be converted to 1-ethylcyclohexanol and 2-ethylcyclohexanol?

View more questions Search