Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scotts2012 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 09:42 PM
    2 Sheets of Drywall in the bathroom on Metal studs
    I have a prefab shower and tub in my bathroom. I am going to pull the it out and install a new tub and tile up the walls. I want to do it right by removing the drywall under the prefab, install cement board before installing the tile.

My problem is that the building was made with metal studs and on one wall one there is double dry wall (on the long wall). My unit is adjacent to another condo unit so the wall between has two layers of drywall.

The questions I have are:
    - Do I need to put up a moisture barrier (plastic) on the walls prior to putting up the cement board?
    - How do I handle the double layered wall? Remove both drywall layers and install double cement board? Remove on layer and install the cement board?
    - With metal studs what is the best way to put up the cement board? Do I install it same as wood studs?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2012, 09:34 PM
    The double dryesll is for fire code, do not remove. Install the cement board by long screws into the studs. Rent a screw gun.
    scotts2012 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 07:17 AM
    You mean to install the cement board over the two layers of drywall? That does not seem correct. If install a premade base how would I attach that to the studs? And if I were to build a base from thinset wouldn't I need to frame that in from the studs?

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2012, 12:39 PM
    Most people will screw thin backer board over the drywall. Whatever you plan to do, I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to remove a firewall. You put yourself in great liability by doing so. The pan can be screwed to the drywall which is probably 2X 1/2 or 5/8 FireX whatever is your local code. Most commercial buildings use 2X5/8, one sheet vertical and 1 horizontal. Think carefully before proceeding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulate in metal studs [ 2 Answers ]

I studded the outside walls in my attached house. Would I use duct tape to hold the insulation to the metal studs before rock?

Metal or wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Which is better in building a house wood or metal studs in the basement?

Metal studs vs. Wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Can metal studs be used in a basement setting where there is no water problem?

Framing with metal studs. [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to build a wall with 2 door openings using metal studs. How do you frame for the door openings? Is it necessary to use wood in the opening? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Using Wood Studs with Metal Studs [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of adding a guest room and bath in my basement. The currect wall studs are metal. I have never worked with metal stud before therefore I am wondering if I should continue with metal or can I use wood as well. The current studs look like they are 24 oc. I have to frame in a...

View more questions Search