Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flowergirl55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 02:35 PM
    What if the executor of a will doesn't follow through?
    My youngest sibling is the executor of my mother's will. As far as I know, this is a simple will and was notorized and not filed with a court. She did not read the will after Mother passed, nor has or will she provide us with the actual accounts and monies owed during the past 4 1/2 years. The five year anniversary is coming up. She was also to put the house up for sale immediately after, and did not do so. Now we owe more on the house than it's actual value. She erased important documentation and has also said that she has lost important papers. What can we do about this? She has been neglegent in her duties, AND I think there has been a misuse of funds. Property that belonged at my Mother's house is now at her house, that should have been sold with the house, when it sold (and hasn't).
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2012, 03:03 PM
    What State or Country?

You say notarized so I'm guessing this is in Florida - ?

I don't understand why the Will wasn't admitted to probate if here were assets and debts. How does your sister explain that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2012, 03:13 PM
    You should have forced the estate into probate years ago. That's what you need to do now. Get an attorney and have the will submitted to your local probate court. Then demand an accounting from the sister.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 5, 2012, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... You say notarized so I'm guessing this is in Florida - ?
    I don't believe Florida is the only state in which wills are supposed to be notarized. Quite a few, I'd imagine. New York doesn't?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2012, 07:16 PM
    According to Wikipedia, 19 of the 50 states allow holographic wills. The other 31 require a will be witnessed, but not necessarily notarized. I couldn't find stats on which require notarization.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2012, 07:19 PM
    Anyway, you and any other heir, hire an attorney and force this into probate court and require her to give a complete account of any and all property.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2012, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I don't believe Florida is the only state in which wills are supposed to be notarized. Quite a few, I'd imagine. New York doesn't?

No, NY does not, also not holographic wills.

I didn't look at the States which do require notarization but there are some - Florida was the first State that came to my mind. I didn't mean it's the only one.
    flowergirl55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 08:37 AM
    No, this is California. I'm going out to the courthouse this morning to see what I can find out. I looked online last night and the fees to file are outrageous! My other sisters and myself don't have that kind of money, but I'm going to try everything. It's not the money, it's the house that we are going to lose back to the bank. The loan is larger than the house is worth. I was at the bank yesterday with some documentation to prove who I was and my Mom. They were very helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In PA what rules must executor follow in notifying beneficiaries etc? [ 4 Answers ]

Decedent is in U.S. state of Pennsylvania, as is executor. Several questions: when must executor notify all beneficiaries of an estate that they are named in will? (Is it proper for it to be >1 month after death, executor has been paying bills of the estate and emptying the house and selling the...

Executor [ 3 Answers ]

I am from a family of five. My sister and one brother are co-executors. My parents of 83 years old have finally completed their will and trust. My other two brothers have recently persuaded my parents to take a loan on one of their rental properties (but it will be in my parents name only). At the...

What an executor can not do? [ 8 Answers ]

My mom just died less than 2 weeks ago, I am 1 of 5 kids. My brother and sister are both executors of her will(which I have not been allowed to see), anyway they are already negotiating between themselves who gets which of the 3 cars(1 of them doesn't run), there is 3 houses and a total of 50...

Follow up on executor and sister using father [ 2 Answers ]

Thank You for your responses it was helpful,just this past weekend I visited with my dad and his attorney.My brother was given Power of Attorney which he and my sister recommend without my knowledge but he was supposed to act in the best interest of my dad/family which he totally abused by making...

Need to know what an executor can or cannot do! [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! I am one of 4 beneficiaries (siblings) who inherited a house from my father. There was an appraisal done after his death to establish a cost basis for the home. Home has not been sold yet due to family who thought they wanted to buy it, then indecision of executor to sell with realtor or...

View more questions Search