Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raj99_007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 09:49 PM
    How to get my 2005 Tax returns
    Hi, Here is the problem:
    - I Got married in 2005.
    -I Filed my 2005 tax Jointly for me and my wife on April 2006 from H&R Block.
    -I Mailed my documents to IRS as H&R Block suggested me.
    -But Till now I haven't received my tax returns.
    -When I call IRS, they says they haven't received My document at all and they told me to send it again. But I didn't took backup. So I have wait till jan2007 to get copy from H&R Block.

Here is Question. Since I have already filed my tax for 2005 but till now I haven't received my tax returns. Can I file my 2006 tax returns together with 2005 documents or shell I wait until I get my 2005 tax returns back and then file my 2006 tax.

If I have to send 2005 documents first. Since I need to get Tax Id for my wife first. Where do I need to send my document. What is an address. Please can u give me list of documents I have to send.
    Please can someone advice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 10:55 AM
    You can file the 2005 and 2006 tax return at the same time, but mail them in separate envelopes. The IRS is a bit picky about that because they claim mailing more than one return in an envelope increases the chances of one or the other return being lost.

Now, if you need a ITIN for your wife, you need to complete Form W-7, which can be downloaded from Internal Revenue Service. Mail the W-7 , along with a notarized photocopy of your passport (only support document needed), with your joint 2005 tax return, to the address in the W-7 instructions.

Feb 21, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Thank U very much for your advice. It really answered all the Question.

- One Final Question. When I filed my old 2005 tax returns, I used to stay in NewHamshair. But now I moved to California. Can I attach a letter with documents to IRS asking them to send my Check (TaxReturns) to new address? Will it work. Thanks U very much for your answers.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Put your new address on the tax return; that is where the IRS will send it.

Better yet, put your checking account information on the tax form. That way, the refund gets deposited directly into your checking account, thus making the address on the return irrelevent.

Feb 22, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Yesterday I have mailed all my documents to below address as u suggested which is in W7
    Internal Revenue Service
    ITIN Operation
    P.O. Box 149342
    Austin, TX 78714-9342

But today while talking to my friend, He told me that He applied to Philadelphia center and he says that I should apply to Philadelphia center to get ITIN No. Now I am little bit confuse with this to what address should I send my documents to get ITIN no for my wife. Please can u advise. Thank U.

Internal Revenue Service
    Philadelphia Service Center
    ITIN Unit, P.O. Box 447
    Bensalem, PA 19020
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 12:14 AM
    The Austin Texas address is the RIGHT address.

Those sent to PA will be forwarded to Texas, so no harm!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax returns for 2004 and 2005 [ 2 Answers ]

A relative came to me and asked me to do his taxes. He had W2s for the years 2004, 2005, and 2006. He hadn't filed in the two previous years. He also had worked in at least two different states. What forms do I need to file these for him?

Tax returns [ 2 Answers ]

How long must you keep tax returns?

Tax returns [ 1 Answers ]

I am a doctor on J-1(doing my fellowship) from India. I was told that I was exempt from Taxes as long as I am on J-1. Can some one please let me know how long am I exempt from taxes and file for my taxes to be returned back to me?

L1 Tax Returns - Necessary? [ 1 Answers ]

What happens if we never file a tax return for the duration of our work visa (3 years)? Is it possible to go back to our home country without any consequence or does the IRS pay special attention to resident aliens? Will the IRS come after us or audit us, or will they more likely allow us to...

Filing returns for 2005 with my spouse [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1 visa since Feb 05. My wife joined me in April 05 on H4 visa. Currently I am using TaxCut to file my return and later along with my Fedral return I will be applying for my spouse W7. I have the following Queries: 1. Do you want to file a joint return with your spouse? Yes/No How...

View more questions Search