Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spatterson20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2012, 04:52 PM
    30 day juice fast questions??
    Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the juicing fast.

1) Coffee while juicing is OK or not?

2) I know I can not drink any type of alcohol during the 30 day fast but after how will my body react to alcohol?

3) I know having a quick weight loss will result in flabby skin. Will my skin be flabby after my 30 day fast?

4) I exercise about 3-5 days a week. I either hike/walk 3-7 miles or go to the gym for 1 1/2 hours. Will I have enough energy to keep up my normal workout routine?

Hopefully someone can help me out with my questions before I start my fasting. Heard the health benefits are amazing and the day 30 you feel like a whole new person. I really hope this allows me to get over my road bump in my weight loss journey.

Thanks for all the help.

:)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 31, 2012, 05:09 PM
    So I take it you will be having nothing but juice for 30 days, right? Absolutely wrong ! While on this fast you will be depriving your body of essential nutrients. After the third day your body will be telling you to eat. After the fourth day you will be pulling your hair out wanting food.

No, sorry this sort of fast is not appropriate, and no do not drink coffee and any alcoholic beverage will not be wise, and after 30 days you should be quite faint and flabby skin will be a lifelong downside, no, you can't work out during this fast, you will not have any muscle tone after thirty days to carry on any kind of work out.

Enough said. If you want to lose weight, balance your diet, cut back on calories, cut out white bread and walk for 30 minutes three times a week, or more, if you can manage, and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2012, 05:51 PM
    If you follow the silly rules, no coffee ( the caffene is a no no) Past that no you will not have enough energy into this.

No the flab will not go away but a lot of the fat will come back.

This is a very dangerous diet
    OAmyCat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 10:42 PM
    I don't know what the above people are talking about! I am on day 27 of my 30-day juice fast. I feel great, have lost 23 pounds so far and have lots of energy.

To answer your questions:
    1) Coffee while juicing is OK or not?
    No, no caffeine at all. Fresh-juiced organic veggies, herbal tea and spring water.

2) I know I can not drink any type of alcohol during the 30 day fast but after how will my body react to alcohol?
    I can't answer this question. My guess would be the same as before.

3) I know having a quick weight loss will result in flabby skin. Will my skin be flabby after my 30 day fast?
    I have been dry brushing my body every night (here's a video explaining about that http://youtu.be/JoTBP_WJy9E) and then I massage any areas of concern with a natural oil blend. My skin is softer and looking better, not flabby.

4) I exercise about 3-5 days a week. I either hike/walk 3-7 miles or go to the gym for 1 1/2 hours. Will I have enough energy to keep up my normal workout routine?
    Now, exercise is something I haven't been doing, but I have had so much energy that I have been up until for a.m. many nights, so I do think you will have enough energy AND you actually should be exercising during your fast.

Just listen to your body throughout. Try not to juice too much fruit, as that dumps fructose into your body and that is hard on your system. I often have green apple, carrots and ginger juice in the morning and stick to veggies the rest of the day (lemon and tomato also add lots of flavor to the veggie juices.)
    Beets are delish to juice and great for your heart.

By using a juicer and making fresh juice each meal, you are releasing the live enzymes from the fiber, and also getting vitamins & minerals. Your body assimilates these nutrients immediately, and therefore does not need to use energy to digest food.

This is the first time I have tried a juice fast, and it has been a wonderful experience. I think I'll do a 2-week juice fast every spring from now on!

Good luck!
    cookie91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 04:39 AM
    You are totally right! I have been on my juice fast for 2 weeks now I ave lost 20 pounds and I feel incredible! Just after a few days your skin starts to glow your hair looks shinier and you have loads of energy... now I'm no saying you don't feel hungry because sometimes you do but if you just think and see the wonders it is doing to your body then everyone would be juicing... the problem is most people only try I for a few days can't get past the short lived hunger and start eating, so obviously you are going to gain weight.

I also agree that you need to have more vegetable juices I drink up to 6 juices a day and only 1 of them is a fruit one. If only more people knew the wonders of juicing!
    pjpratt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 09:00 PM
    I am completing day 26 of a vegatble juice only diet. I am 46 and I have to say I hve never felt so good. It is really weird because I have not eaten food for that whole time. Who would have thoght.

Last night I went clothes shopping. All my clthes are way to big. I was surprised to find myself buying clothe sizes I used to when I was 18. Wow. A loss of 12 kg or 26 lbs so far.

I will start introducing foods at day 30, I think one of the benefits of a juice only fast is that the way you think about food changes. I look at foods I used to eat and I can't imagine eating them. Yuk, I have developed cravings for foods I never thought about like cashew nuts or a piece of salmon.

My doctor told me that this is probably the best thing I can do, after a blood test a few days ago my results came back better than ever. Cholestrol down and everything is totally perfect. For a month my body has had a rest from all the crap I was stuffing it with.

Energy has been through the roof! Sleep has never been so good. I just cannot believe how good I feel.

My next challenge will be ensuring that I continue to think about the types of foods I eat the right way. Healthy only! If I do I will keep my weight down and I am guessing I will feel great.

The plan is to do a 10 day fast every couple of months to keep me on track.

If you are wondering how all of this happened for me I watched fat sick & nearly dead and the rest was history.

Give it a go you won't regret it. It will be the best thing that you have ever done.
    Expert

May 9, 2012, 10:33 AM
    It can be very dangerous and cause muscle damage, I do not believe any doctor, or properly licensed fitness instructor would ever recommend such a bad system.

The Dangers of Fasting – si dawson

Juice Fasting: Pointless Waste of Time and Money | Nutrition Articles, Reviews | 2BFit

The industry behind this, that sells the books and the tapes and the programs are big business, you know how dangerous it is, to me, by how hard they work to hide complaints and bad results, by googling some of it, guess where most of the content goes, yes back to the people selling the programs, they set up the key search engine words to send people looking for the bad results back to their pages, But the bad is out there.

Any weight loss done improperly will not last, and while a short fast of a few days to a max of a week, can cleanse the body, too long term will damage body organs over time, cause issues with muscle damage and more.

There is only one correct and proper way to lose weight, and it takes work,
    Expert

May 9, 2012, 10:34 AM
    It can be very dangerous and cause muscle damage, I do not believe any doctor, or properly licensed fitness instructor would ever recommend such a bad system.

Juice Fasting: Pointless Waste of Time and Money | Nutrition Articles, Reviews | 2BFit

The industry behind this, that sells the books and the tapes and the programs are big business, you know how dangerous it is, to me, by how hard they work to hide complaints and bad results, by googling some of it, guess where most of the content goes, yes back to the people selling the programs, they set up the key search engine words to send people looking for the bad results back to their pages, But the bad is out there.

Any weight loss done improperly will not last, and while a short fast of a few days to a max of a week, can cleanse the body, too long term will damage body organs over time, cause issues with muscle damage and more.

adsmamma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2012, 02:27 PM
    I am on day 8 of hopefully a 40 day. I do feel totally energetic. Day 1-5 not so much energy, but now I am full of it. I do run, jog. The first week you will probably be sluggish, but the last 3 days I have had plenty of energy to do a 3 to 6 mile run. Just have an extra veggie juice when you are done. I agree completely on the fruit juice, however, they do say to have it in the morning but I tend to have an all fruit one at night when I get my cravings and it totally satisfies. I am on day 8 and have lost 8 pounds. I only have 28 total to lose to be thin, like small thin! So this is Awesome. My skins is clearing up and I very rarely feel hungry. My dr. not only said it was good for me, he has even done a few himself. He has been a Dr. for 40 plus years and very well respected. As long as you lift some weights and do some exercise, muscle loss should not be so much a problem.

I say go for it! After much research, I think there is just many people that just don't fully understand the system and are therefore very critical. I have lost weight in the past the "right" way, eating less, a little better and exercising a lot. I ran a marathon a year and a half ago, yet I never really learned how to control my eating. I have always ate too much and what I want. I exercised to keep the extra weight off. This juicing is so good because it really does start changing the way how you think about food. Something that is foreign to me. So with the combination of exercise of eating better, in the long run, this short 40 days should really pay off.

Good Luck!

Good luck. I say talk to your Dr. Research like
    CompleteBeauty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2012, 10:17 AM
    I agree Juicing is amazing! With any diet or detoxing regimen there are dangers which fr chuck is speaking common sense... but people always try to find the "bad" in a "God" thing... juicing allows vitamins and minerals to directly enter into you blood stream verses going through the digestive phase, it also allows your organs to rest from the harm you have inflicted on them all your life... I am on week two of my phase and have lost 20 lbs... the first week I felt a little sluggish but that was because your body is pushing the built up toxins out! Now my eczema is clearing up without the help of steroids my doctor gave me, I am more focused on life and I have more energy to play with my very active one year old... there is no "proven" harm of juicing but I can vouch it is helping me more than hurting... still consult your physician before starting as with "ANY" change in your normal routine... Use more veggies than fruit, the skin brushing is great, no alcohol or caffeine, unless naturally caffeinated teas, drink plenty of water and at least 64 ounces of juice a day, Exercise but take heed to your body signs of weakness, Have fun, Stay Focused and Change your Life! Goodluck!
    CompleteBeauty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
    Oh yeah and I also add spirulina and chlorella to my juices 2xs a day, after the first three days I added fiber powder to keep me regular and I take a multi-vitamin
    kchaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2012, 09:46 AM
    For those who think that juice fasting is bad. Jesus did it and He did it on water alone. It gave Him the strength to overcome the devil. I have done several fasts up to 10 days. In a few weeks I am planning to start at least a 30 day fast. I am very excited about it. I know God has made our bodies to mend themselves and I believe fasting can do that for me. Couple good sites
    http://www.allaboutfasting.com/juice-fasting.html and this is great site, it tells what to expect during each stage. http://www.healthrecipes.com/fast21.htm. Here is my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Juicing-For-Life/346411728777262
    Gamed Posts: 269, Reputation: 29

Aug 18, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If you follow the silly rules, no coffee ( the caffene is a no no) Past that no you will not have enough energy into this.

No the flab will not go away but a lot of the fat will come back.

This is a very dangerous diet
    Fr chuck is right in what he says but the fat will only come back if you don't eat right and you won't have much flappy skin.

I would never recommend a 30 day fast to any of my clients 5-7 days at the absolute most and that's only if they have a specific time frame to loose weight. This is beyond a risk I can almost guarantee you will cause damage to muscle or tissue.
    mslisac363 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2012, 06:33 AM
    This is not true... fruit, vegs and nuts are the meals you can eat... I understand so many people like what people tell them based on a modern world... Lots of people don't understand how the body works, so therefore spend too much time eating the wrong foods to inculde what is considered diet and health junk sold in stores. Don't ask everyday johns, you should study for yourself...
    Javionne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Juicing is great so don't listen to the folks that say you don't get your nutrition,that's a lie you get all your vitamins from the vegetables and you can add Supplents for Protein and minerals. I did a juice fast for 30 days and felt great and my skin now glow and I lost 37lbs and have kept it off. No alcohol or caffeine.
    Vortex11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 10:09 AM
    Its funny, there are so many contradicting opinions about this topic. I just started my juicing program. Here is what I believe, any obese person will benefit from a reduction in calories and chemicals on their organs. Fat people tax their organs to point of failure. Any relief will bring tremendous benefits. Also in America, unfortunately, we are taught to eat for every reason under the sun. Food is one of our greatest social pass times. To compound the problem, the food companies are as guilty as the oil companies for poisoning the greatest resource on our planet. Humans.
    tcboston Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 10:01 AM
    The industry? Selling the programs? This guy is a loon - for every example of a complaint he gives, I'll show you a hundred positive reviews. On top of that.. industry? What industry? The fruit and vegetable industry? Lol - I got my juicer used for $10 and all the recipes and outlines for a juice fast is free on the internet - they even have juice reicipe apps for free. As for working out - I'm on the 10th day of a 30 day fast and I work out every day for at least an hour. I don't have energy for crazy heavy lifting but I am doing some supersets of isometrics, stretching, etc. and my body is starting to look jacked like when I was wrestling in high school. As for flabby skin... my pot belly is reducing but the skin isn't hanging.. just kind of looks like its receding into my body... a caveat of that is that I'm 5'9" and only weighed 180 when I started... so I wasn't grossly overweight to start with. Your body tries to get to an equilibrium - as long as you are feeding it nutrients, you're not going to go under your optimal weight... so my wieght loss started quick but has slowed down each day, though my body fat % has steadily decreased. Good luck - and don't pay attention to the naysayers - they probably work for the coffee or meat industry or mosanto! ;)
    tcboston Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

I posted my reply individually on accident - I meant to reply to this guy, quoted above
    My reply:
    The industry? Selling the programs? This guy is a loon - for every example of a complaint he gives, I'll show you a hundred positive reviews. On top of that.. industry? What industry? The fruit and vegetable industry? Lol - I got my juicer used for $10 and all the recipes and outlines for a juice fast is free on the internet - they even have juice reicipe apps for free. As for working out - I'm on the 10th day of a 30 day fast and I work out every day for at least an hour. I don't have energy for crazy heavy lifting but I am doing some supersets of isometrics, stretching, etc. and my body is starting to look jacked like when I was wrestling in high school. As for flabby skin... my pot belly is reducing but the skin isn't hanging.. just kind of looks like its receding into my body... a caveat of that is that I'm 5'9" and only weighed 180 when I started... so I wasn't grossly overweight to start with. Your body tries to get to an equilibrium - as long as you are feeding it nutrients, you're not going to go under your optimal weight... so my wieght loss started quick but has slowed down each day, though my body fat % has steadily decreased. Good luck - and don't pay attention to the naysayers - they probably work for the coffee or meat industry or mosanto!
    ADSunshine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2013, 10:46 AM
    I did a 30 juice fast 4 years ago and it completely changed my life. I eat raw as much as possible. Not a complete vegan but have cut out meet and most dairy. I am 51 and feel better now than I did in my 30's. And... still look in my 30's on a good dancing night.

Juicing provides your body with all the nutrients you require. Take some time and do some research but it is so worth it. It was one of the hardest things I did in my life but the rewards physically and mentally were a big changing factor for me.

The dry brushing is also a great idea.
    ADSunshine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2013, 10:47 AM
    Typo on my part... Meat, not meet!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Juice fast questions (40 days) [ 18 Answers ]

:confused: Hi, I have some juice fasting questions I was hoping to get answered. :-) How long does average freshly squeezed juice stay fresh? If I want to drink 10 cups of juice do I have to juice it 10 times a day or can I make juice to last a day or two? I know pineapple juice has to be drunk...

Juice fast questions? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you eat soup while juicing

Juice Fast [ 1 Answers ]

My plan is to embark on a 30 day juice fast. I weigh 400 pounds and I want to know how many pounds could I loose in 30 days? I plan to keep my calories at or about 840. So please respond with answers.

15 day Juice Fast [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I was planning on doing a 15 day juice fast. About 5 days after that, I'm planning on going down South where I will be drinking alcohol. Will this hurt my body a lot? Once I get back, I was planning on doing a 30 day juice fast. I'm just wondering what will happen when I eat and drink...

Juice fast [ 3 Answers ]

How long does it take to start to lose weight when you juice fast?

View more questions Search