Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    triloka Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2012, 06:09 PM
    1 Man w/ laptop doubled a townhome's electric bill of 7 people?
    So I just moved into a new town home... all I have in electronics is a laptop, an external hdd and a modem...

The laptop is rated at 100w, the modem is 12v-1a, and I don't know what the external hdd is (also not much). I'm home most of the day, and have the computer on for roughly 8-10 hours a day on average, more often or not, only 5 hrs.

The townhome has 6 other people all equipped with Tv's, computers, and what not.

I did the math, and I consume a little over 1kwh of electricity if I have all three of my electronics on at 10hrs a day (100w=.1kwh, 1x10hours=1kwh of electricity consumed) and at 30 days, it's not much at roughly 12$.

After a month in the house the electric doubled from 75-150! And they all blame me... I think they are just being stupid. Even though I am home all day, and they go to work, there is no way that I consume more electricity that 6 people combined! Now they are all very pissed off at me as the electric is included in my rental agreement, and they can't collecct, but that doesn't sway them from treating me like e.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 30, 2012, 07:29 PM
    Your usage is much like having a 120 watt light bulb burning for 10 hours. Something else caused the surge in the bill. Anything new like a freezer or extra refrigerator?

Mar 30, 2012, 08:34 PM
    When I moved in there was 5 people, then I was the 6th, then my landlord's elderly mother moved into the living room. The elderly mother is gone at in nurseing care all day, except from 6pm till 7am the next morning, in the evening hours she watches TV with the family.

This is somewhat beside the point, and to answer your question regarding any new electrical appliances, no... not that I know of... : /

Mar 30, 2012, 10:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by triloka View Post
    when i moved in there was 5 ppl, then i was the 6th, then my landlord's elderly mother moved into the living room. the elderly mother is gone at in nurseing care all day, except from 6pm till 7am the next morning, in the evening hours she watches tv with the family.

This is somewhat beside the point, and to answer your question regarding any new electrical appliances, no...not that i know of...: /
    If I remember right, the two landlords bought the daughter an air purifier? Or air humidifier? It's very tall.. at least 3-4 feet tall... could this be the cause? I am shy to ask them about this without getting into an entire myriad of who's right or wrong.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2012, 08:13 AM
    100 watts at 10 hours per day, 30 days per month, at $0.17 per KWH is $5.70 per month.

So, how much KWH per month has increased?

What is KWH cost?

While you may only use the laptop 10 hours a day, afterwards, you use heat, hot water, etc, open the frig, etc. So you did not just add the 100 watts per hour.

Next is the elderly occupant, again uses power.

Really need to confirm KWH usage per month for the last year or so, and what the cost per KWH is.

Two additional occupants use more than just you a laptop ,and a TV for the elderly lady.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brand new heat pump,warm winter and my electric bill has more than doubled [ 1 Answers ]

Put in brand new heat pump last march. Did not have to turn on heat till mid dec. Its been a warm winter with average temp between 35 and 37 degrees but 2cnd month in a row me electric bill is over $400. I did not pay that even with the old heat pump and much lower temp outside. I thought heat...

If I put an electric fireplace will it make my electric bill go up really high? [ 5 Answers ]

So I want to go and buy an electric fireplace for my house but I don't want my electric bill to sky rocket, I mean I would expect it to go up a little, so does anyone know?

My landlord has two rental units on the same heat bill and electric bill. [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for him to charge utilities on an estimated percentage of use? This is in Pennsylvania.

Electric bill went up three times [ 2 Answers ]

Have a friend that his electric bill has went up greatly in the past year. Has went from paying 45$ to 250$ in the summer and went from 300$ to 600$ and at most 1200$ in the winter. I am a heating and cooling guy and plumber by trade and I checked his heating system and water heater and they were...

View more questions Search