Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12345jo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2012, 08:26 PM
    I have a light switch that is in the wrong place
    Ok this is what I would like to do, I have a light swich that is in the wrong place and I would like to move it but it is in a finished wall and can't get to those, so this is what I need help with - This is in my basement I have acess to the wires that are going to the light, So what I was thinking about doing is this, undoing the wires that are at the ceiling light run them down to a new light juntion box, run a new wire from that juntion box to the ceiling light conect the wires to a new light swich... is this OK to do this?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 09:40 PM
    By junction box do you by any chance mean the box for the switch? If so that is fine. Just pull a new wire to where you want the new switch and connect. Abandon the old switch line. You could remove the old switch and/or box, cut the line and leave in the wall.
    If you mean add true junction box somewhere (like in the ceiling) that would be OK, but that box would always have to be accessible. In other words you can't hide it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced light switch and now other fixtures quit working, what did I do wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

Replaced light switch in the bedroom, light works in room but it is tied to one breaker which operates the bedroom light, the kitchen light, the porch light and one outlet in the kitchen. The bedroom light works where I replaced the switch but now the other items on the breaker do not work. What...

What is wrong with light switch and can I fix it myself? [ 1 Answers ]

Have a wall switch for an overhead dining room chandelier (no dimmer) and when light is switched on it has started flickering the light off and on or just off a bit unless you jiggle it and then it stays on OK. Occasionally after being lit it will suddenly go out (without anyone flipping the...

In a double light switch one works and the other doesn't, what's wrong? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a double light switch, two switches stacked. The top one controls bathroom lights and does not work, the bottom one controls a ceiling fan in another adjacent room and does work. We did hear some noise associated with the top switch a few days ago and now nothing. Is it just the switch or...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

View more questions Search