Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angiehunter28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
    Can you sue for back child support if there is no decree set?
    Can you sue for back child support if there was no court order at that time?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 05:01 PM
    No.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
    A few US states allow for the custodial parent to file for back support though the court, you are not sue but filing for support and it in some states can go back
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    A few US states allow for the custodial parent to file for back support though the court, you are not sue but filing for support and it in some states can go back
    Even if there was no court order for support originally?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Even if there was no court order for support originally?
    Yes, and one of the rules for it is evasion. If the NCP sought to evade child support then it may go back further then the filing date.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2012, 06:31 PM
    Generally support starts when the support is filed for. But, as noted, some areas do allow for awarding retroactive support. It will be up to the court and local law as to whether to allow it.

ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue my dad for back child support [ 2 Answers ]

I am 20 yrs old! I live in West Virginia. I already graduated high school and am now attending college, I have never met my father. He was ordered to pay child support, but never did. I would like to sue him myself to help my mother out. Is this possible?

No child support ordered can I sue for back support [ 2 Answers ]

my boyfriend and his x divorced in 04 and at the time he received full custody she was not employed so there was not a child support order at the time. However ever since then she has harassed and tried to claim income tax refunds on the children that she also was never entitled to and recently...

How far back can you sue for child support of your minor child [ 7 Answers ]

I am a single mother in Iowa of a 16 year old son. 5 years ago we went through all the correct channels to stop the child support order. CSRU is unpleasant to deal with and we decided to handle child support ourselves. Needless to say this has not worked out. He made payments for about 6 months...

Can you sue for back child support? [ 1 Answers ]

In Oregon can an 18 yr old sue for back child suport from her father he was NEVER there her whole life and never paid a dime? She knows him, knows where he lives, but he refuses to have anything to do with her. And can she sue her grandmother for still collecting the child support from her mother...

View more questions Search