Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolgoose04 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 02:09 PM
    OPT to H1b and changes in state where I was working
    Hello all:

I have a problem filling taxes. I was on Opt until Feb 2nd week and then transferred to H1b. In the mean time I was working in California till March and then moved over to NY.

Here are the questions I have:

1) Should I be getting two W2s based on OPT and H1b.
    2) Should there be two W2s one for California and one for New Jersey
    3) Since I was on OPT for first month and half, I was not paying any SSN and medicare taxes so should I be filling the taxes separately.
    4) Am I a resident or a non-resident alien.

All this concern is because my returns are coming out very low and need to get some help from experts.

So please comment on the scenario.

Thanks in advance,
    Samit
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 11:34 PM
    1) Not necessarily.

2) Probably.

3) No, just ONE tax return.

4) You are NOT non-resident. You are dual-status. If you are married, you can choose with your wife to file jointly and be treated as resident aliens for all of 2006.

If NOT married, you must file a dual-status return.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Feb 21, 2007, 06:05 AM
    If you do elect to file as residents for the full year, you are correct that you would not be exempt from social security tax during the OPT period. This is something that you should have notified your employer about.

Feb 21, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    1) Not necessarily.

2) Probably.

3) No, just ONE tax return.

4) You are NOT non-resident. You are dual-status. If you are married, you can choose with your wife to file jointly and be treated as resident aliens for all of 2006.

If NOT married, you must file a dual-status return.
    So if I file as dual status how would they find out when I was in OPT and when in H1b. I also heard we can file the taxes completely as H1b and then file an amendment. If so what should I file as resident or non resident.

Thanks in advance,
    Samit
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Samit:

What you heard was wrong! You can file as a dual-status alien, or, if married, file jointly and be treated as resident aliens for all of 2006.

You CANNOT file as a non-resident alien.

Feb 21, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Samit:

What you heard was wrong! You can file as a dual-status alien, or, if married, file jointly and be treated as resident aliens for all of 2006.

You CANNOT file as a non-resident alien.
    Ok thanks. Let me try that tonight and see what changes in returns I get. I have received 2 W2s for the 2 states I have worked in.

However, I work in NY and stay in NJ. So which state should I be filling for. My taxes are cut for NY.

Thanks again in advance for all your help,
    Samit
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Samit:

You need to file BOTH NJ and NY state tax returns. You will pay taxs to NY and pay nothing to NJ, but you STILL have to file the NJ return.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opt to h1b [ 1 Answers ]

Hi This is my summary for the tax year... Indian Citizen... Entered USA on F1 on AUG 2003, Worked on OPT from NOV 2005 to SEP 2006, on H1 from OCT 2006 till the year end. Got married on Dec. 15, spouse indian citizen, and never entered U.S.A. returning with spouse frm India on Jan 29...

F1 >> Opt >> H1b [ 3 Answers ]

Hello ATE, Looking at the information below can you please advise me if I should file as a R/NR, what forms I should use (1040, 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, 8843), the deductions that I can apply and what options are the best for filing. Citizenship - India F1 (Bachelors) - 25/DEC/1999 to 06/MAY/2002...

H1B and Multiple State [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is regarding my tax return for 2005. I was in USA from 28 Nov 2004 till 2 Apr 2005 in Chicago, IL on H1B. I came back here on Oct 10, 2005 in Salt Lake City, UT on H1B. My wife joined me here on Jan 6, 2006. On my W2 tax stauts is Married and state tax is MI as my employer is...

Out of Country (during H1B) and Change from F1 to OPT to H1B [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, First of all a great service and a great site with loads of useful information. Here is my scenario: Dec 2003 to May 2005 - F1 Status June 2005 to Sept 2005 - OPT (F1) Status Oct 1, 2005 to Dec 2005 - H1B status My company sent me to its branch in INDIA office for a special project...

F1 opt to h1b [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Experts By the way of introduction My name is Aleem Khan from CT. I have a question on my tax returns. I had OPT from Dec 16th 2004 to Dec 15 2005 and I was working during this period. But my status changed from F1 to H1 in October 2005. How do I have to file my taxes as F1 (OPT)...

View more questions Search