Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aeidson01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2012, 08:17 AM
    Replaced ceiling fan with regular light fixture
    I have replaced my ceiling fan in my downstairs bedroom with a regular light fixture. Connected the black with black the white with white. Have another white wire that I capped. The light works fine but my outside and upstairs light won't turn on now and two outlets don't work in my living room. Checked breaker box everything looked fine. Can anyone help not sure what I did wrong.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 29, 2012, 09:23 AM
    Hopefully an electrician will chime in here as you're the second person who asked this same question today. Looks like an epidemic! I had the same problem years ago when I decided to replace the switch that operated the fan and the lights in two rooms. In my case, it turned out I'd connected the white ground wire to the white live wire, so there was no circuit. I'd capped the live wire. You might want to see if you did the same thing. If you've broken the circuit by grounding out the wrong wire, then that's going to result in other things on the same circuit not working. Believe me, I know. LOLOL And make sure you actually ground the system with that white ground wire. I didn't know my ceiling fan was "live"--outer casing and all--until an electrician came to install something else in my kitchen and noticed the mistake.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Connect the two white wires and the white wire from the light all together.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
    "Have another white wire that I capped" did you disconnect this wire when doing the replace? The white is the neutral and Harold is correct. Wire nut the whites together and watch those receptacles come alive

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Changing ceiling fan to regular light fixture. Wiring question. [ 1 Answers ]

I am switching out my ceiling fan for a simple light fixture which is in the center of my room. I read your other post about the Black, White and Red wires. My new light fixture only has 2 black wires and a ground. Ceiling box has the Black, White and Red. If I only have 2 black wires on the new...

Out with a ceiling fan, in with a regular light. [ 1 Answers ]

I am taking a ceiling fan out and putting in a hanging light fixture. I have the common color wires on the light, black, white, and green. Other than the matching colors in the ceiling, I have a Red, Black, White, and Green. This light is operated on two different switches. What do I hook up...

Replaced ceiling fan light fixture, now fan won't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old ceiling fan. It was in the house when I bought it so I have no info on it. There are no tags or model #s on it. It is controlled by 2 separate wall mounted switches. One light dimmer and one fan speed controller. I wanted to update the light fixture on it so I removed it. Wiring...

Can I use a ceiling fan receiver/transmitter for a regular light? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok... the subject of this question might not be 100% correct... let me explain my problem. Currently, we have a ceiling fan/light in the center of our living room. The only way of controlling the fan or light is via a remote control unit (standard Hamilton Bay type thing). I need to remove the...

View more questions Search